PDA

View Full Version : Timing your sets and fatigue

brandonsenn
06-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Im wondering how many of you time your sets in relation to the fatigue % you are working with. Im trying to better quantify my training but having a hard time wrapping my head around this. Say the protocol for the day is a x3@9w/5%fatigue. Going off the RTS manual that would only allot me 20-22mins to complete. Is this correct? For me a x3@9 is 505 deadlifting. I cant imagine working up to 505 in 10 mins to set my initial then work my fatigue %. Is my understanding of the time limits correct?

Mark Jamsek
06-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Yes. Medium stress (5%) allows 20-22 minutes. You don't include warm up sets though. So if your DL x3 @9 is 505, you would start timing from your first @7-8 work set.

Example
Warm up: 135 x5, 225 x3, 315 x2, 405 x1

Working sets (now start timing)

set / weight / reps / RPE / rest

450 x3 @7.5 6'
475 x3 @8 6'
505 x3 @9 6'
475 x3 @9 stop

That's 18 minutes with 6' rest intervals. Lately I'm finding I hit my fatigue % before I reach time, but that's because I've been trying to cut my rest intervals down to 5' for squats and pulls and 4' for bench, so I'm fatiguing quicker, but will hopefully adapt to the shorter rest intervals.

brandonsenn
06-26-2013, 01:13 PM
That clears up the confusion. I was starting the time at my very first warm up set and just found I had to work incredibly fast to get all the work in. Thanks!

BobW
06-27-2013, 06:17 AM
I look at it this way: rest time is a variable. You either control that variable, to whatever degree, or it controls you. I don't run a clock / stopwatch and time my work, at all - never have, unless I'm doing specific work for a contest where I'm timing sets.

If I'm working on pure strength, and I'm doing singles, doubles, and triples with decently high intensity, I might rest for 10 minutes between sets until I feel recovered. So, I do - but I'm aware of that time. I also will note when that time starts to increase - that's a clear indication that I need to work on conditioning and work capacity, so I'll figure out a way to address that (note that I could address it in the next block altogether, and keep the focus on strength for the current block.)

If I'm doing a lower intensity block, getting some volume in, my rest periods naturally get shorter.

Mike Tuchscherer
06-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Bob has a great point. The time limit is a general guideline to help you keep from taking forever between sets. I don't like prescribed rest periods because some sets are more taxing and require more rest than others.

webby
06-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Love reading everyones opinions on rest times. I was talking to a few of the russian coaches and their lifters and they were having a bit of a go at the rest times a few of us were taking. I think it was Basov, he said he has some of his lifters have as little as 2min rest between sets. If i tried that short a break i think my intensity would suffer to much but was interesting to hear how others are doing it.

jonnblaze
06-28-2013, 05:37 AM
don't like prescribed rest periods because some sets are more taxing and require more rest than others.

Mike Tuchscherer
07-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Webby,
That's really interesting. Especially considering the loading that you often see in the Sheiko style programs. I know I shouldn't lump all Russian coaches into the Sheiko mold, but they do tend to all learn coaching from the same sources. But based off the multiple SME sets they perform, I think a faster tempo makes sense.

webby
07-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I agree completely Mike,
a few of the forum guys are getting trained by Basov so it'll be interesting to see what the program looks like and what rest he recommends

Millul
07-03-2013, 05:58 AM
Who was coached by Basov at Worlds?

Mike Tuchscherer
07-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Oh, was Basov the guy that SP was chatting with?

webby
07-11-2013, 06:10 PM
yeah Basov and Dennis!