PDA

View Full Version : CAT?

calle
06-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Hello!
I've heard alot of talk about CAT (compensatory accelerated training) lately but I remember Mike isn't a big fan of speedwork. I know CAT is not the same as westside-speedwork because you're working with heavier weights so I wonder if it's any benefit in programming with it or just use it as "try to push the weights as fast as possible regardless of pounds on the bar"?

Shafley
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
It's funny how these things come around. When I first started lifting, way back in the late 80s, one of the first books I bought was Hatfield's "Power" book. I didn't get a damn thing from doing CAT work then, and now I generally perform concentric movements with the lifts as fast as I can, anyway, so the point is still moot.

Shafley
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
I guess I want to expand on that...because my descent into the Highland Games taught me "slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is far". If I start a throw with the maximum impulse I can muster, it doesn't go as far. I've started to accelerate the bar this way as well during training, because it does seem to me, subjectively, to reach a faster speed than if I just "explode" with it.

Mike Tuchscherer
06-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't have such strong feelings on CAT since it can be applied to heavier weights. I like the idea of accelerating hate and producing force. Maybe I'm naive to think that many people pretty much do this naturally at least with heavy weight. Light weight is going to exhibit a different motor pattern than heavy weight though, so regardless of what we call it, it won't be very useful for developing strength.

I'm with Shaf though on "slow is smooth, smooth is fast." Concentrate on being smooth and accelerating. Speed will happen as you develop your technique. Forcing speed when you aren't ready for it is a great way to jack up your technique. That's why it's often useful to have novice lifters slow the movement down so they perfect the technique.

Concentrate on smooth.