PDA

View Full Version : Got The Book and Now I'm Confused

Mahoney
07-07-2013, 11:00 AM
There are some questions I have that aren't answered in the book. Thank god for this forum.

I've been squatting and benching 2 times a week for a while with no problem and want to increase to 3 times a week. So for the three days of a volume block for example, would you dedicate 2 days of bench to bottom strength and 1 to lockout? Also, do you use the same exercise through the blocks or can you switch as long as it's working on what you're working on. For example, if i'm working on bottom strength in the bench can I one day do pause bench, the next do pin press and the last do 3 count pause bench or for the entire 6 week cycle do you just stick to just pause bench?

Also, with the secondary movement for bench and squat what rep ranges do you do in the different blocks? Does the rep range stay the same as the primary movement?

How do you go about the concentration block? Do you do more sets than usual at 1-3 reps at 9-10 RPE or do you add 3-6 rep volume work with the intensity work? And the book says concentration blocks are followed by intensification blocks with low and medium stress levels. So correct me if i'm wrong. You do a volume block, intensity block, concentration block then another intensity block. I know he says the concentration block is for advanced lifters and I do consider myself that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Jamsek
07-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi, Mahoney. I'll try answer your questions, but hopefully someone more experienced will chime in. I only have experience using RTS with the four day template, but the same principles apply.

For bench you know you've got your 6 slots: Primary & secondary main(specific)/assist(special)/supplement. So split these up over your three days. You could do it a variety of ways, and there was a thread recently regarding a three day template, maybe a page or two back. I'd probably do: Day 1 Prime main & prime assist; Day 2 Secondary assist & secondary supplement; and Day 3 Secondary main & prime supplement. There are numerous ways you could do it though.

Your second question, In a volume block you could keep it within a rep range for all slots (except supplemental work, keep that high), linearly adjust or undulate weekly. So if it's a 4 week block go from x6 -- x3, or 2 weeks x5, 1 week x3 and 1 week x4. Intensity same thing, but lower rep range, e.g. go from x5 -- x2, or a couple weeks of triples to a week of doubles and a week of triples again. Or you can vary it across movements if you want, viz. keep your primary specific movements a little higher than your specials, e.g. prime bench x4-6, special bench x3-4.

I don't know your level of development, but depending on the length of your cycle you could just go volume->intensity->realization

Your fatigue percents will determine how many sets you do, I wouldn't try and predetermine an amount of sets for any block. Usually the rep/RPE pairing does a good enough job of optimizing load. If you want I would just set a week of @10, or a higher fatigue percent to overload.

Mike Tuchscherer
07-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Good answers, Mark. Mahoney, post up if you've got any more questions.

Mahoney
07-11-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply. Just a few more questions.

I can't quote the book exactly because I let a friend borrow it, but I'm pretty sure it said you should keep the same main exercise throughout your blocks. Is this correct?

As far as level of development at 173 I squat 505, bench 305, and deadlift 610. youtube.com/mahoney735 for lifts. So how would a concentration block work? I'm guessing that and realization are the same thing? Do you do a couple sets of singles for example then some back offs with 5 reps? The book says high volume and intensity, i'm just not sure how you go about how much intensity sets and how much volume.

And last question when do you test? I'm used to my modified Westside where I always know my max. Book says after concentration block do an intensification block with medium and low volume. So how many weeks of that before the test day?

Mike Tuchscherer
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I think I do instruct people to keep the lifts the same for the macrocycle. But this is just a starting point. You don't have to do that, but it's probably a good idea to have a reason for the way you rotate exercises and for the exercises you choose.

Concentration is basically a volume block with more stress than you can recover from. So you turn up the fatigue to the point where this occurs. It's not the same as realization at all. Realization is similar to a "peaking block" where you do the training needed to maximize your performance for a test. If you're just getting into RTS, I don't really advise you to do the singles-back-off-to-reps method. Keep it simple while you're learning. Why don't you lay out a sample block that you're thinking about doing and I'll offer some critique. Something like:
Wk1: x5, 10%
Wk2: x4, 10%
etc...

What do you mean by "test"? Mock meet? If so, yes. Do it at the end of the cycle. Just like you would a regular meet. How many weeks? Up to you. Try to keep each block 3-5 weeks long though.

Mahoney
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM
I have an idea for what I want to do but I need to know is it recommended that you do periodization linearly or can you undulate weekly?

Mike Tuchscherer
07-16-2013, 09:08 AM
You can do either depending on your strategy. Even those categories are not clearly defined because you can have a linear macro that uses daily and weekly undulation. So it depends on the context we are discussing.

In general terms, I'd recommend some sort of undulation because it helps keep your volume up in the latter training stages.