PDA

View Full Version : Squat Problems

Rashale
09-12-2013, 04:31 AM
Hey everyone.

I have a problem with my squat, quite often I shift the weight onto the front of my foot, causing my heels to slightly come off the floor, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
Now this doesn't always happen, but it's annoying and happens more often that I'd like.

Here's a video (it happens on the second rep) 3x190kg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7dF9MlPPQg

And another, 5x180kg, followed by some back off sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8tj9FAw35Q
Sorry if the angle isn't good enough, it's a very small gym and this is the best I could get.

I've always squatted with a very close stance (shoulder width or even slightly closer) a somewhat mid-bar position if you can call it that, trying to sit down between my legs like an olympic squat.

It just seems like I'm stronger in this position. I have tried with a wider stance, but it didn't help and I didn't have nearly as much power out of the bottom.

Any thoughts on what I can do to fix my problem?

Mike Tuchscherer
09-14-2013, 05:35 AM
Honestly I couldn't even see your problem. :)

I didn't see your heels come up and for that matter I didn't see much in the way of bad technical stuff. There are always things to fix, but to me you're within the 80% threshold to continue focusing on getting stronger. Just keep squatting and think long term.

Rashale
09-14-2013, 08:37 AM
Honestly I couldn't even see your problem. :)

I didn't see your heels come up and for that matter I didn't see much in the way of bad technical stuff. There are always things to fix, but to me you're within the 80% threshold to continue focusing on getting stronger. Just keep squatting and think long term.

Thank you for your reply Mike. Maybe I was just overthinking things :o

BobW
09-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one. I watched your videos several times, and couldn't really see any large problems - certainly did not see any weight shift that I would be concerned about fixing.

On the second rep in the first video, which you flagged as problematic: the only thing I notice (and I only notice it because you flagged it and told me to look for it) is that you might have stopped "leading with your chest" part way up. It's very slight; focus on keeping the upper back tight, and of driving up with the chest as a cue, see if that helps at all.

r1smith
09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Ok, so I am considerably less experienced than the two posters before me, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I would put more weight on the opinion of Mike and Bob than on myself.
:-)

When you hit ur sticking point, your knees buckle inward. This creates enough torque to get you past ur sticking point, but when you try to push ur hips thru, the thighs get in the way. Once your pelvis runs into your thighs, you shift ur weight forward so that you can finish the lift.

A possible suggestion is trying to consciously torque the knees out instead of inward as you hit ur sticking point putting the tension on the glutes. With the knees out instead of inward, this would provide enough room for you hips to travel and the legs won't be getting in the way. Not sure if it would work it's just an idea.

And nice shoes, btw. I squat in those too.