PDA

View Full Version : Article: A Powerlifter's Guide to Making Weight

Brady Stewart
09-18-2013, 07:08 PM
You can view the page at http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?119-A-Powerlifter-s-Guide-to-Making-Weight

dallasreilly
09-19-2013, 05:23 PM
You can view the page at http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?119-A-Powerlifter-s-Guide-to-Making-Weight

Solid article. Where in IL do you live/train?

I'll share my own recent weight cutting experience. It was a 24 hr weigh in so I probably did a few things most would not recommend, but I was cautious about stressing myself. It was my first water cut, and was basically just a practice for future cuts. I followed various articles/vids I found online. I had flown for work Sunday and Tuesday, but kept hydrated. I stayed fairly low carb all week (never more than 100 g carbs).
Monday: Started water load, about 1.5 gallons.
Tuesday: 2 gallons
Wednesday: 2-2.5 gallons
Thursday: one bottle magnesium citrate at 8:00 AM or so, drank water until about 4 PM, hot shower in the PM, took some over the counter diuretics
Friday: hot shower in the AM, weighed in at 9:00 AM at 230.5 lbs
Immediately after weigh in I ate bananas, candy bars (sugar crash isn't a worry with 24 hr weigh in, and I think makes it easier to restore glycogen quickly...plus I fukin love snickers), lots of pedialyte and water throughout the day. Got back on the platform right at 249 or so.

Next time/things to change:
-Going to get dandelion root for water pills
-Overall will use warmer water for the load (headaches are fairly bad, I think this is partially related to removing heat from the body as per a an ice cream headache)

Mike Tuchscherer
09-27-2013, 02:14 AM
Dallas, how much did you cut?

Also interesting (and important) to note the differences. Matt (the author of the article) coaches primarily lifters working with a 2hr weigh in. A 24hr weigh in is quite different. Interesting to see the differences in strategy for each.

dallasreilly
09-28-2013, 10:44 AM
Dallas, how much did you cut?

Also interesting (and important) to note the differences. Matt (the author of the article) coaches primarily lifters working with a 2hr weigh in. A 24hr weigh in is quite different. Interesting to see the differences in strategy for each.

I would say right about 20 lbs. Before I left for work travel I was 250-252, but fluctuating quite a bit. Weighed in at 230.5 lbs and when I weighed myself before I left for the meet I was about 249 lbs.

Absolutely. I think a different protocol is required for all three weigh in scenarios (~24 h, ~2 hr, and there are some meets/feds that do evening before weigh-ins giving you about 12-16 hours). I also don't think it's something you want to jump right into. Like I said that was my first water load/cut and I was really surprised how easy it was, but I would work up to that kinda cut over the course of a few meets if I had the time to do it again.

Brady Stewart
10-27-2013, 02:05 PM
Dallas, I live in Germantown, IL at the moment and will be moving to the Carbondale, IL (southern) early next year. I've been doing most of my training in my basement up until I had labrum repair surgery Oct 1. I have a bit of recovery ahead of me.

dallasreilly
11-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Dallas, I live in Germantown, IL at the moment and will be moving to the Carbondale, IL (southern) early next year. I've been doing most of my training in my basement up until I had labrum repair surgery Oct 1. I have a bit of recovery ahead of me.

Good luck on your recovery! I lived in a small town between Springfield and Decatur and I make it back about twice a year.