PDA

View Full Version : Programming Around Physical Stressful Occupation

RoyMcLean
07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Anyone any advice for training around a very physically demanding job?

I'm a dairy farmer and although the physical stress is not constantly very high it can often leave me more physically beat up and tired than the training.

Using RTS auto-regulation techniques (which are a great step forward) I have found my strength levels are fluctuating by 25%.

I'm 42 which probably doesn't help, but in a quiet week I've no trouble with the 4 day split in the intermediate program.

However I find when I miss a session or 2 due to farming, the next session is usually terrible.

I can't decide if this is due to de-training or starting back to soon when I haven't recovered from the occupational stress.

My best comp total is 630kg (raw) to give you an idea of my strength (or weakness) level.

Any advice on how I can best cope with my enforced inconsistency and especially training frequency?

GymRat
07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Anyone any advice for training around a very physically demanding job?

I'm a dairy farmer and although the physical stress is not constantly very high it can often leave me more physically beat up and tired than the training.

Using RTS auto-regulation techniques (which are a great step forward) I have found my strength levels are fluctuating by 25%.

I'm 42 which probably doesn't help, but in a quiet week I've no trouble with the 4 day split in the intermediate program.

However I find when I miss a session or 2 due to farming, the next session is usually terrible.

I can't decide if this is due to de-training or starting back to soon when I haven't recovered from the occupational stress.

My best comp total is 630kg (raw) to give you an idea of my strength (or weakness) level.

Any advice on how I can best cope with my enforced inconsistency and especially training frequency?

Mike has written a lot about momentum. I'm not sure if that is the case with you, but I use momentum a lot and missed sessions seem to have a big impact on my strength... more than they should from a physiological stand point (especially on squat).

If you know that after missed sessions, your next session is usually terrible, i would adivse to back off the intensity, and get in lots of volume. If you miss Session 1 & 2 of the week, just back it off and do moderate intensity, high volume work for session 3 & 4, and then pick back up with the program on session 1 of the following week.
Thats what helps for me, although i am always volume inclined.

You could also front load your training week either with training load, or priority movements (or both).
Including all your prime movements in one session may not be "ideal", but if you know you can always do the monday session, but regularly miss sessions later in the week, i would front load the early week sessions with all the prime movements so if you do miss sessions, its just the assist/supp work.

For a few of my guys, the Wed session is the least important.
If they miss Mon the whole week gets pushed back a day and Wed gets skipped.
If they miss Tue, they make it up on Wed.
If they miss Wednesday, they just miss it with no make up.
If they miss Friday or Saturday, i get really pissed off.

RoyMcLean
07-08-2014, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Gymrat!

Yes it's the momentum that's affected. Prioritising should help.

Rather than training yesterday when I felt fatigued and was short on time I waited till today and had a great session, up 2.5kgs on deadlift and bench triples.

So at the minute I'm figuring I'm just training when I haven't recovered from the physical stress of the extra work and this fatigue is what is messing up the momentum.

I'll follow the same strategy next time and see if the result is similar.

Mike Tuchscherer
07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
Another option for you would be the flex template. I'm about out of time for now, but if you search the forum for flex template you should find something about it. Then I'd use that thing to make sure you hit your important work on those days where you're capable. That leaves the lesser-important work for the days that you feel crappy. Still get your work done, but try to make the good days coincide with the important work.

ChadHydro
07-10-2014, 12:04 PM
Here's one of the Flex templates Mike's talking about: http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/showthread.php?792-Old-posts&highlight=flex+template

bluej244
08-20-2014, 05:42 AM
I have also experienced that. It's like being absent from the training once or twice then coming back feels like a mountain to climb. I was just thankful that I found this article http://www.endburnout.com/three-success-tips-for-maximizing-productivity/. It made me really productive at work and in training. I hope it can help you too.