PDA

View Full Version : My Program and Plan

Inferno
08-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Hey everyone,

I've recently read the RTS manual and have been devouring all the articles I could on RTS style training, implementing it where I could in my current training and soon I'd like to more fully use the methods in my training. Before I write out my program I'd just like to note that I have trained "Westside" for a while now. As time has gone on I've modified it in many ways. First I took the 4 day template and made it 6, throwing my back work onto those 2 extra days. Then I started to add exercises to these days. Just extra work here and there, but they became mainstays in my program. The "extra" days would be the day after my max effort workouts, to add volume without disturbing my current template. Following that I changed the speed work to more volume work. But this was still based on percentages and they oftentimes felt off. I cycled 60-70-80% over 3 weeks and sometimes 70 would feel heavy but 80 would feel amazing the following week. I've slowly created another main exercise day for either my squat or deadlift on that day. If I squatted heavy Monday, I would do my volume work for squats Friday and deadlift heavy too, and vice versa if I deadlifted heavy Monday. What I'm looking for now is to keep my exercises on the same day, rather than shuffling around week to week. Although, they would still change slightly from block to block. I've found that I have 7 upper body lifts that I use that have carried over well for me, as well 8 lower body lifts. I have modified the fatigue percentages for these slots and have come up with the following plan.

Volume Block

Monday
-Squats
-Paused squats (beltless)
-lats and upper back (no fp)

Tuesday
-bench
-DB bench
-shoulders

Wednesday
-Deads
-front squats (beltless)
-SLDLs (beltless)

Thursday
-bottom end drives
-no feet bench
-lats + upper back (no fp)

Friday
-squats
-block pulls (beltless)
-front squats

Saturday/Sunday
-CAT bench (no fp)
-DB bench or dips
-shoulders

Intensity Block

Monday
-squats
-paused squats

Tuesday
-bench
-(band) paused one inch off chest press w/ narrow grip
-shoulders

Wednesday
-deads
-block pulls
-pin squats

Thursday
-dead bench
-no feet bench

Friday
-squats
-reverse band squats or paused squats
-deficit deads or paused deads

Saturday/Sunday
-CAT bench
-(band) narrow dead bench
-shoulders

My plan with the reps is to use 2-5 for the main lift in the volume block, mostly for repeats if the reps are doubles or triples. And during this time the other exercise slots would go anywhere from 3-10. During the intensity block, when the main exercises use 1-3 exclusively, I'd keep my other lifts between 5 and 8 to keep my volume at a decent level. I could also do my fatigues with more reps than my initials on my main lifts. As far as stresses are concerned, I'm not completely certain as to how I'd prefer to cycle them. It seems that most people want to stay at medium and throw a high in every now and then as a curveball, and a low whenever they need it. However, I'd like to give a concentration block a try for an upcoming competition. It'll be on November 28th. My plan was to do 3 weeks of volume, followed by 3 weeks concentration, then 2 weeks of intensity and 1 deload. For the stresses, I was at first thinking of waving it M-H-L for the volume, VH-H-VH for the concentration block, and L-M for the intensity block. However, I'm now leaning towards going M-H-M for volume, keep the same for concentration, and M-M for intensity. I have a pretty good ability to recover from a lot of work and believe I can handle the concentration phase well. As for the stresses, I'm not against altering them as I need when the time comes. Speaking of which, this is what my stresses worked out to:

Very High - 8-10% for bench, 7-9% for lower (54-72%)
High - 5-7% bench, 5-7% lower (36-54%)
Medium - 3-5% bench, 3-5% lower (24-36%)
Low - 3% bench, 2% lower (12-18%)

All criticism is welcome. Can't wait to hear all your thoughts. And if you've read all this then thanks haha even if you don't reply.