PDA

View Full Version : novice custom program critique

bballer99
10-26-2014, 01:03 PM
- History in the sport

Haven't competed yet, have been training for about 6 months, but I've been a bit of a program hopper.
SQ 185x5/BP 120x3/DL 245x5 (pounds)
(squat is high bar, bench is medium grip touch and go, and deadlift is conventional)

Also, I'm 5 feet 3, ~140lbs @~13% BF, and 14 years old.

- Past training programs

Starting Strength
Powerlifting to Win Novice Program
Candito Linear Program (current, but hoping to make some useful mods)

- Injuries or any other considerations

The odd knee ache here and there, nothing serious. Consequence of being a runner up until last year when I started to cure my iron deficiency (hehe). Also a student so it's probably not responsible to have 2 hour sessions.

Program:

Lower
Squat Work up to 3-6 reps @9, (Load Drop) 3-6% Fatigue (20 minute timer)
Deadlift Work up to 3-6 reps @9, (Load Drop) 2-4% Fatigue (20 minute timer)
-Optional lower body exercises (2 max, nothing with a barbell, 3 sets), terminal knee extensions

Upper
Bench Work up to 3-6 reps @9, (Load Drop) 5-10% Fatigue (25 minute timer)
Dumbbell Row X sets of 6 reps (as many sets as needed to match bench volume)
Military Press 1 set of 6 reps
Chin-ups 1 set of 6 reps
-Optional upper body exercises (2 max, nothing with a barbell, 3 sets), external rotations

Schedule:
MON: Lower
TUE: Upper
WED: Rest (usually play some basketball)
THUR: Lower
FRI: Upper
SAT&SUN: Rest

Progression:
Keep adding 5lbs to squat and deadlift and 2.5lbs to bench every session while keeping reps in 3-6 rep range. Main upper body accessory lifts can increase at same rate as bench (staying at 6 reps), but not gonna be the end of the world if it doesn't.

chris_ottawa
10-27-2014, 02:33 PM
I would think that you might be better off with something like Starting Strength or another 5x5 program, unless you can already accurately gauge RPE. The best thing for you is to choose a program and stick with it, jumping from one program to another is not a good idea for anyone. And why do you feel it is necessary to do an upper/lower split? Something like the basic template of weeks 1-4 of the Generalized Intermediate program but mostly using the main lifts would probably be a better choice. Maybe someting like this:

Day1
Squat
Bench
Military
Lats

Day2
Deadlift
Bench
Squat
Abs

Day3
Squat
Bench
Close Grip Bench
More lats if you aren't doing rows tomorrow

Day4
Deadlift
Bench
Heavy Rows or SLDL
Abs

For lats, do any kind of rows or chin ups but change it up from session to session. Abs in the 8-20 rep range, not sets of 50 crunches. You could do paused bench presses on some days if you want, it will help you build more strength out of the bottom but it isn't absolutely necessary at this point. Dumbell bench/military presses are good too. I would advise dropping any "optional" non-barbell exercises that you aren't doing for a specific reason, leg extensions and that kind of thing will get you nowhere. Just stick with a program that makes sense and don't stop, you will probably be a lot stronger that me in 17 years.

bballer99
10-28-2014, 12:42 AM
I would think that you might be better off with something like Starting Strength or another 5x5 program, unless you can already accurately gauge RPE. The best thing for you is to choose a program and stick with it, jumping from one program to another is not a good idea for anyone. And why do you feel it is necessary to do an upper/lower split? Something like the basic template of weeks 1-4 of the Generalized Intermediate program but mostly using the main lifts would probably be a better choice. Maybe someting like this:

Day1
Squat
Bench
Military
Lats

Day2
Deadlift
Bench
Squat
Abs

Day3
Squat
Bench
Close Grip Bench
More lats if you aren't doing rows tomorrow

Day4
Deadlift
Bench
Heavy Rows or SLDL
Abs

For lats, do any kind of rows or chin ups but change it up from session to session. Abs in the 8-20 rep range, not sets of 50 crunches. You could do paused bench presses on some days if you want, it will help you build more strength out of the bottom but it isn't absolutely necessary at this point. Dumbell bench/military presses are good too. I would advise dropping any "optional" non-barbell exercises that you aren't doing for a specific reason, leg extensions and that kind of thing will get you nowhere. Just stick with a program that makes sense and don't stop, you will probably be a lot stronger that me in 17 years.

thanks chris. ill finish up what i was doing this week and give this a try.

bballer99
11-01-2014, 12:26 AM
by the way, whats the schedule for this? mon-tue-thur-fri?

here's how i set it up per your recommendations

MON
squat work up to 3-5 @9 (load drop) 5%
bench work up to 3-5 @9 (load drop) 5%
military work up to 6-8 @9 (load drop) 5%

TUE
deadlift work up to 3-5 @9 (no drop sets)
dumbbell bench work up to 6-8 @9 (no drop sets)
front squat work up to 6-8 @9 (no drop sets)

THUR
squat work up to 3-5 @9 (load drop) 5%
bench work up to 3-5 @9 (load drop) 5%
cgbp work up to 6-8 @9 (load drop) 5%

FRI
deadlift work up to 3-5 @9 (no drop sets)
dumbbell bench work up to 6-8 @9 (no drop sets)
sldl work up to 6-8 @9 (no drop sets)

chris_ottawa
11-01-2014, 12:57 PM
M-T-T-F works, you could also do M-W-F-S is you prefer, I just wouldn't reccomend 4 days straight without a day off or GPP day. By the way, all the abs/lats can be done on "off" days, you could add some conditioning if you want but if you play basketball regularly that should be good enough. You don't necessarily need to do dumbbell bench 2x a week, maybe switch one for bench with a long pause. And I'm not sure by what you have there if you are setting specific reps goals for each workout, if you are not then I suggest that you do so. Just look at the GI program for an idea of how to vary rep ranges from day to day and week to week.

bballer99
11-02-2014, 01:39 PM
thanks for the help man, really appreciate it. ive decided to do this:

MON
comp squat 3-5 reps @9-10 (aim for 4 reps, go less or more depending on how i feel), load drop 4-6%
2ct pause deadlift 2-4 reps @9, load drop 4-6%
front squat 6-8 reps (aim for 7) @8-9, load drop 4-6%
abs

TUE
comp bench 3-5 reps @9-10, load drop 4-6%
2ct pause bench 3-5 reps @9, load drop 4-6%
military 6-8 reps @8-9, load drop 4-6%
lats

THUR
2ct pause squat 3-5 reps @9, load drop 4-6%
comp deadlift, 3-5 reps @9-10, load drop 4-6%
sldl, 6-8 reps @8-9, load drop 4-6%
abs

FRI
touch n go bench 3-5 rep @9-10, load drop 4-6%
floor press 3-5 reps @9, load drop 4-6%
close grip bench, 6-8 reps @8-9, load drop 4-6%
lats

rep ranges: basically, aim for the middle of the range, shoot lower if i dont feel so great, shoot higher if i feel strong enough
lats and abs: myo reps
squat and deadlift variation progress 5lbs per week, bench variations progress 2.5lbs per week
if there's a schedule conflict, priority workouts are the first 3 (Comp lifts) with the bench day using 6-9% fatigue to make up for lost 2nd bench day

upper/lower seems to work for me, and i like how this looks to be quite honest

bballer99
11-08-2014, 03:41 PM
alright, so ive kinda rewrote what im going to do. its more novice friendly than the stuff i did above.

lower a
squat x5-6 @9-10 (load drop) 4-6%
deadlift x5-6 @9-10 (load drop) 2-3%

upper a
bench x5-6 @9-10 (load drop) 4-6%
dumbbell row, military, chinups (regular sets/reps)

lower b
pause squat x3-4 @9 (load drop) 6-9%
pause deadlift x3-4 @9 (load drop) 4-6%

upper b
pause bench* x3-4 @9 (load drop) 6-9%
pause db row, military, chinups (regular sets/reps)

*or spoto press (pause 1"off chest)

this is basically an autoregulated version of jonnie candito's linear program:
http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Candito-Strength-Control-Full-Program-3.jpg

anyone wanna try critiquing what i made? it seems alright to me, nothing jumps out. i made it so that upper and lower body have roughly the same weekly fatigue (i count the various other upper body lifts towards upper body fatigue) of 20%, with the "heavy" days having low-ish fatigue for intensity and the "control" days high-ish fatigue for volume