PDA

View Full Version : High-frequency intensity block

chris_ottawa
11-15-2014, 05:34 PM
I have been using the basic template from the Generalized Intermediate program with some modifications and I'm thinking of changing things up for the next intensity block. I would still keep 10 exercise slots, but instead of 3 on Monday, 4 on Wednesday, and 3 again on Friday I would change it to 2 a day Monday to Friday. So basically like this:

M-Squat
T-Deadlift
W-Squat
T-Deadlift
F-Squat

With one pressing movement every day, maybe some lats & abs thrown in there if not on Saturday.

Is there a downside to this? The only thing I could think of is that it's less fatigue toleration per workout so it might not have the same effect of increasing work capacity. I might be slightly less recovered with less time between workouts, but so far Wednesdays have been a GPP day for me in volume blocks with a M-T-T-F setup so I don't think it will be a problem. The benefit as I see it is that I won't be as fatigued for the last exercise of the day (squatting for the 4th exercise of the day kind of sucks) and I will be able to push myself harder. I want to improve my squat more than anything, my bench and deadlift are decent but my squat is my worst lift right now.

Any thoughts?

Mark Welbourn
11-15-2014, 06:40 PM
I have been using the basic template from the Generalized Intermediate program with some modifications and I'm thinking of changing things up for the next intensity block. I would still keep 10 exercise slots, but instead of 3 on Monday, 4 on Wednesday, and 3 again on Friday I would change it to 2 a day Monday to Friday. So basically like this:

M-Squat
T-Deadlift
W-Squat
T-Deadlift
F-Squat

With one pressing movement every day, maybe some lats & abs thrown in there if not on Saturday.

Is there a downside to this? The only thing I could think of is that it's less fatigue toleration per workout so it might not have the same effect of increasing work capacity. I might be slightly less recovered with less time between workouts, but so far Wednesdays have been a GPP day for me in volume blocks with a M-T-T-F setup so I don't think it will be a problem. The benefit as I see it is that I won't be as fatigued for the last exercise of the day (squatting for the 4th exercise of the day kind of sucks) and I will be able to push myself harder. I want to improve my squat more than anything, my bench and deadlift are decent but my squat is my worst lift right now.

Any thoughts?
Hey Chris, well I'll give you my two cents since i know what it's like to get ZERO feedback on a question :) I actually really your idea. I do 12 exercise slots in 3 sessions right now and it can be pretty brutal having to drop sets on a squat or deadlift variation at the end. If I could train 5 days a week, I'd probably do something like this so i could push each lift a little harder. Hope it works out good for you Chris!!!

ChadHydro
11-15-2014, 08:09 PM
This is similar to something I've been running lately. 3 slots a day doesn't work so well for me as I train at night and more training time means less family time. I'd rather train more often if it means shorter sessions. Lately I've been doing a 3 lift day on Saturday (Squat, Bench, Deadlift). I like keeping one day a week with this setup as it will at least maintain that kind of conditioning that you might lose with only a two lift day

chris_ottawa
11-15-2014, 09:15 PM
I was only planning to do this for the intensity block, I don't think it will affect my work capacity negatively in such a short time but it sure won't be increasing it. After giving it some thought, another downside is that I was planning to do some rack pulls and reverse band squats for overloads on the last two days (not every week), the accumulated fatigue from the whole week might make those a painful couple of days. It will still be an overload, but maybe not as much as it could be.

And yes, I'm luck to not work mornings. I usually start at noon. The problem with long workouts is that I have to rush to get started so I'm not late for work, but fortunately I don't normally work Wednesdays either.

Don't worry, I'm not defecting to the Bulgarians!

matd
11-17-2014, 03:04 AM
i have done this for the last 6+ months and have seen good results with it really. dont be fooled the fatigue will be catching up to you just after the 3rd day (well it did for me). i havent seen superior results from 3 movements a day over 2 movements a day. happy to be wrong as i only have one test subject for this theory. i found i recover well from just dropping back to one movement in the middle of a 5 day run.
dont get tempted to up the fatigue % since you will get lured into the trap of thinking that you are recovering better but its a marathon not a sprint remember.
all you can do is try it and see if it works for you as i dont think there is anything fundamentally wrong with your set up

DallasLynx
11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I've done something similar, except I'm using 10 slots for volume and 8 for intensity. I used the generalized intermediate program as a guideline. So during the intensity block I have one lower and one upper slot four days a week. For the volume block I used 3 slots on two days and two slots on 2 days. I see no reason why you could not spread 10 slots over five days.