PDA

View Full Version : Straight or ramped Sets? Overshoot?

jannaldo
11-18-2014, 02:32 AM
I have a question that could not answer me the book.

The SetsxReps, for example 6x3 @ 8-9, to the straight or run ramped?

100kgx3 @ 8
100kgx3 @ 8
100kgx3 @ 8
100kgx3 @ 8
100kgx3 @ 8
100kgx3 @ 9

but what if I reach @9 early as the 4th or 5th set?

or

100kgx3 @ 8
105kgx3 @ 8
110kgx3 @ 9
100kgx3 @ 9
95kgx3 @ 9
90kgx3 @ 9

and then Fatigue Sets?

Or how can I understand the 6x3?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And what do I do when I shoot over the top?
The Target is @9 and I do @9.5 or @10.
Then no Fatigue Sets?

Klæmint Vagadal
11-18-2014, 04:01 AM
According to the book, and what Mike and others have said on the forum, if you use Load Reduction, the model is as follows:

3x95 @ 8
3x100 @ 8.5
3x105 @ 9 Planned Initial
3x100 @ 8.5
3x100 @ 9 Fatigue of 5% reached here

The 5% could be reached already at the first drop-set, depending on the day, and how well that Planned Initial set felt. If your planned initial set was only a 8.5 or so, and you don't shoot for a higher weight, you will probably be able to do more back-off sets.

I still do drop-sets/fatigue sets if I overshoot. The problem is only, that the Planned Initial set was so heavy, that if you do LD 5%, you may hit another 9.5, or even 10 on your drop-set.

chris_ottawa
11-18-2014, 03:27 PM
What you can do for the 6x3 example is work up to @8 and repeat like you said, you could add drop sets after but that would be higher fatigue. If you are working with 10% fatigue then you could do triples @8 until you hit @9 and then take a 5% load drop, but that will be a long, hard workout. There isn't really a planned 6x3 in this type of programming (unless you go by % instead of RPE), just repeats or load drops until you hit your fatigue stop.

And if you overshoot the top set then either stick with the planned load drop and work up to @10 or whatever the initial was or just increase the % you drop off - like 9% instead of 5% and just work up to @9. Personally, I would try to minimize @10's.

xone
11-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Been a while since I read the book but I remember those examples and found it a bit confusing with the suggested set/rep schemes compared to how it looks like things are programmed now from the generalized intermediate and articles here. I think the book is a little outdated in this regard or maybe it just wasn't clear to me either when I read it.

I would just ignore using setsXreps notation or a planned number of sets and instead just say you're going to do x3 @ 9 (Load Drop) 4-6% fatigue. or whatever fatigue percent you're using. so you have a target top set @ 9, then do ramping sets up to it.

So

90% of target top set x3
95% of target top set x3
target top set x3

assuming you didn't hit a 9 before the target top set if that's a 9 then you would do a load drop and take a percentage of weight off the bar (whatever your fatigue percentage you have specified), and then you keep doing sets at that weight and stop when that set is also a 9. read through the articles here and the generalized intermediate program thread/article they explain it more in depth.

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?62-Fatigue-Percents-Revisited

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?7-training