PDA

View Full Version : 5x a week programming?

_thehip
12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Hello all,

Has anybody had any experience running an RTS template that runs 5x a week with 2 movement slots per session?

I train in the early mornings, usually starting up around 5-530 am. Being a beginner to RTS style training I have just begun the generalized template Mike T has given out. Following the time limits of 10 minute warmups 20 minutes per exercise the sessions run ~1.5 hours long.

I am wondering if there was a way I could possibly put together a 5x a week template that would allow me to keep my sessions to 1 hour duration since cutting out another 30-60 minutes of my sleep when I already wake up ~5am is something I would rather avoid if I can.

So I am wondering if anyone has any experience or any tips or just any help at all would be great.

bradbanag
12-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Isn't Mikes program for intermediate lifters? Have you looked programming to win?

_thehip
12-03-2014, 07:19 PM
I am definitely an intermediate lifter.

And by Programming to win, do you mean I should read the ebook he has out, or read/watch the review he made on RTS training?

ChadHydro
12-03-2014, 07:47 PM
I don't think modifying the template to be a 5 workout template will significantly affect the outcome of the program. The only difference is you might not get the same level of conditioning that you would if it were 3 slots a day.

_thehip
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
How would you suggest modifying the template? I was thinking of something like this

Day 1 Day 2 Day 3 Day 4 Day 5
Comp BP Comp Squat TnG BP Deadlift 3 count BP
Floor Press Front Squat Close Grip BP Paused Squat OHP

My bench is a weak point in my lifts, hence the 3x a week upper and only 2x a week lower.

_thehip
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Sorry about poor formatting, I am not sure how to make proper tables

ChadHydro
12-03-2014, 08:09 PM
So actually, sorry, didn't realize you were running the vanilla Gen Intermediate. If you go to 5 days a week with 2 slots per day you're dropping 2 slots. This will modify the program to a potentially significant extent. Hard to say how that would work for you without more info.

_thehip
12-03-2014, 08:34 PM
What kind of info would you need?

_thehip
12-03-2014, 09:07 PM
I actually just found this thread http://rts.activeboard.com/t20937796/template-design/?page=1&sort=oldestFirst which is going to help alot. Thanks anyways guys!

bradbanag
12-05-2014, 02:39 AM
Training Background would be one

acarnovale
12-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't train 5 days per week but I have modified the normal template because like you I only really have an hour to train most days. Here is what I do:

Day 1: Prime Bench, Prime Bench Assist, Triceps Movement

Day 2: Prime Squat, Prime Deadlift Assist, Quads

Day 3: Secondary Bench, Secondary Bench assist, Row

Day 4: Prime Deadlift, Prime Squat Assist, Hamstrings

This keeps my workouts to just under an hour for the most part. I haven't been using it long (in my 5th week) but I'm already hitting some PRs despite dropping a few lbs.