PDA

View Full Version : New routine for my girlfriend

kevf
12-21-2014, 04:32 AM
Hey guys,

I've been trying to create a schedule for my girlfriend. Situation: participated in two meets and she has been training for about a year now. She's been relying a bit to much on training with a belt and I get the feeling she is lacking somewhat in musclemass and upperback strength. She has switched between sumo and conventional style deadlift and I'm still not sure what style suits her best. She's seen the most gains in her squat and just a little gains in her deadlift. Her next meet is in may. At the moment she is on a transitional block for another 1,5 week. She did Candito's LP and Candito's 6 weeks program before the meet.

The schedule is for the next 4-5 weeks. There is a focus om hypertrophy work and upper back strength. She has no experience with RPE, so I'm planning to just let her log the RPE's for now. The program is undulated. After this block I'm planning to switch one hypertrophy day for a strength day and to move sumo and conventional lifts to these days. Overloading is reached by adding microplates on the main lifts every week (should still be doable regarding her experience) and just what feels right on the accessory lifts.

This is my first time putting together a powerlift program, so please be gentle ;)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_gK0qOUrEoVWjI5TGxHZ3NNdmc/view?usp=sharing

kevf
12-24-2014, 03:19 AM
No one?

Alexandru
12-24-2014, 01:32 PM
It would be useful to know the weight and the lifts, or maybe the Wilks score of the person.
I think these programs should help out a bit, as they are a lot more specific to powerlifting (you have quite a bit of non-specific work and it doesn't look like it's heavy enough):
http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?94-Dr-Squat-80-Day-Cycle-with
or this:
http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?126-Generalized-Intermediate-Program
upper back strength gets trained in a specific way by deadlifting etc, but usually you can add something like 10 minutes of density training once or twice a week with rows, either Pendlay rows or dumbbell rows.

chris_ottawa
12-24-2014, 02:54 PM
It looks decent to me, just a couple points:
-do more benching with the bar rather than dumbbells, some is good but don't make it a priority
-in my experience dips do nothing for the bench press
-why reverse grip barbell rows? As far as barbell rows go, nothing beats Pendlay rows

kevf
12-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Hey guys,

tnx for the replies! Her stats:

60,5 kg
Squat: 95
Bench: 47,5
Deadlift: 112,5

The reason Iǘe added non-specific work in there is because I had the feeling that she is lacking in strength in the upperbody. Also she tends to overreach on the really heavy days. So I was planning on doing a 4 week block with slightly more bodybuilding stuff and focus on hypertrophy and then switching back to strength blocks and after that power blocks. Another option is to switch to the intermediate program when the meet is 9 weeks out.

Pendlay row is a really good suggestion, I'll switch that one.

Regarding progression: since she is just getting out of her novice gains, is it still doable to just add microplates? Or are there any other overloading techniques to consider?

Alexandru
12-28-2014, 11:29 PM
I think if you use RPEs you can use that to add/subtract weight as you need to. For example this week I used weights estimated from my previous week's max, and noticed my bench rpe for the top set was an 8 instead of the expected 9, then figured out which weight I should have used as my estimated 1rm to get an 8 at the weight I used, then raised the weight to reach a 9 rpe, so I got a PR.