PDA

View Full Version : Former american footballplayer now wanna put all his effort into powerlifting

ErikSwe85
12-23-2014, 05:36 AM
Hello!

My background:
29 years old. I have been playing american football for the last 12-13 years (linebacker and safety). Pretty athletic (can jump high, run fast, decent lifter (if you compare to other american footballplayers here in Sweden).

I have decided that I want to put all my effort into powerlifting (I am getting too old for football I guess). I've been on many training programs before - and I have combined them with a lot of sprints, jumps, quick foot ladder (agility), you know the drills (football).

I have been constructing my own program. It's a mix with Jim Wendlers 5/3/1 and RTS. Here it is. Please leave me comments and thoughts!

4 day full body template:

Monday:
Lowbar Squat 5/3/1 + dropsets 3-5 sets
Pausbench 5/3/1 + dropsets 3-5 sets
Dumbel Rows 5x8-20 (Repetiton Effort Method)
Core Training

Tuesday:
Front Squats 5/3/1 + dropsets 3-5 set
Military Press 5x5
Chins with weight 5x5-10
Biceps 4x8-20 (Repetition Effort Method)

Wednesday:
Deadlifts 5/3/1 + dropsets 3-5 set
Highbar Pause Squats 5x3-4
Dips 5x10-15 with weight
Core Training

Thursday:
No lifting - just explosive jumps, sprints and sled drags

Saturday:
Highbar squat 5x5
Deficit Deadlifts or Pause Deadlifts 5x3-5
Close grip bench 3x5
Inverted Row 3x10-20

So what do you think?

Tuscherer - if you read this - would you do any changes or is it something that you think is really really bad about the program?

Dan Lee
12-23-2014, 08:02 AM
Hey dude, I'm not sure what part of this is RTS. I was expecting RPE's and FP%s.

I'll mention a few things like overall design and your loading protocol, then movement selection.

1.)
We usually specify RPE's and Fatigue percents so we can understand the training effect we're aiming for.
Without that, I don't know what loads you plan to do.
If you say 5x5 we don't know if it's at 70% or 85%.

I don't know how much volume you're adapted to, but that seems like alot of volume regardless, not to mention that you've 4x squat frequency, which isn't very common.
If you specified a fatigue % I'd be able to understand how much stress you feel like you're getting. Otherwise, 5x5 doesn't mean much, especially without load. It could be killer for my conditioning, but nothing for you if you're used to more.

I also don't know how you intend to vary from week to week because this is just a one week snapshot.

Basically we need more information about your training history and using RPE's and Fatigue %'s will help us with understanding what effect the training will have on you before any decent advice can really be given. Not to mention that those are the hallmark of RTS training.

2.)
You mentioned that you want to put all your effort into powerlifting.
IMO, your movement selection I think could be more specific, it depends on where you are in the training cycle.

Adding one more bench press movement may be better. You only practice with a competition grip once in a week. Twice may be better.
You also only use a competition squat once a week (I presume that's the low bar). Doing it twice may be better.

For the less specific movements like chinsm rows and dips etc, RTS programming usually has it done on GPP days and is kept to a volume and load that ensures it doesn't compromise recovery for the big movements. If you do so much, you might want to have 2 GPP days.

This section is something I'm personally a hardass about. I like specific movements and fairly few variations.
It's not the only way to go about it, but I think that you'll be better off with more specificity if you're so sure you want to dedicate yourself to powerlifting.
However, don't neglect your personal preferences. If being more specific is too boring, then more variation than is 'optimal' to help you adhere to training may be more important.

Quite abit said over here, but I can't say anymore because my mind is all over the place! It'll be better if you hone in on the questions you'd like to focus on.
Do shoot back any questions if you don't understand or have some new thoughts! :)

ErikSwe85
12-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Hey dude, I'm not sure what part of this is RTS. I was expecting RPE's and FP%s.

I'll mention a few things like overall design and your loading protocol, then movement selection.

1.)
We usually specify RPE's and Fatigue percents so we can understand the training effect we're aiming for.
Without that, I don't know what loads you plan to do.
If you say 5x5 we don't know if it's at 70% or 85%.

I don't know how much volume you're adapted to, but that seems like alot of volume regardless, not to mention that you've 4x squat frequency, which isn't very common.
If you specified a fatigue % I'd be able to understand how much stress you feel like you're getting. Otherwise, 5x5 doesn't mean much, especially without load. It could be killer for my conditioning, but nothing for you if you're used to more.

I also don't know how you intend to vary from week to week because this is just a one week snapshot.

Basically we need more information about your training history and using RPE's and Fatigue %'s will help us with understanding what effect the training will have on you before any decent advice can really be given. Not to mention that those are the hallmark of RTS training.

2.)
You mentioned that you want to put all your effort into powerlifting.
IMO, your movement selection I think could be more specific, it depends on where you are in the training cycle.

Adding one more bench press movement may be better. You only practice with a competition grip once in a week. Twice may be better.
You also only use a competition squat once a week (I presume that's the low bar). Doing it twice may be better.

For the less specific movements like chinsm rows and dips etc, RTS programming usually has it done on GPP days and is kept to a volume and load that ensures it doesn't compromise recovery for the big movements. If you do so much, you might want to have 2 GPP days.

This section is something I'm personally a hardass about. I like specific movements and fairly few variations.
It's not the only way to go about it, but I think that you'll be better off with more specificity if you're so sure you want to dedicate yourself to powerlifting.
However, don't neglect your personal preferences. If being more specific is too boring, then more variation than is 'optimal' to help you adhere to training may be more important.

Quite abit said over here, but I can't say anymore because my mind is all over the place! It'll be better if you hone in on the questions you'd like to focus on.
Do shoot back any questions if you don't understand or have some new thoughts! :)

Regarding what you've written I am going to change some things in the program. I will separate the GPP days from the powerlifting days. I will train 5 days a week. The program now looks like this:

Monday:
Lowbar squat 5/3/1 + 3-5 drop sets (decrease the weight with 5%) (until I reach @9) belt on
Pausebench 5/3/1 + 3-5 drop sets (decrease the weight with 5%) (until I reach @9)
Dumbell rows 5x8-20

Wednesday:
Deadlift 5/3/1 + 3-5 drop sets (decrease the weight with 5%) (until I reach @9)
Highbar Pause Squats 5x3-4 (@8)
Pause bench 9 Ct 3x3 (@9)

Thursday: GPP Workout
Sprints
Explosive jumps
Sled drag (conditioning)

Friday:
Lowbar squat 5x5 no belt (@8)
Deficit deadlift or Pause deadlift 5x3-5 (@8)
Close grip bench 3x5 (@8)

Saturday or sunday: GPP Workout 2
Front Squats 3x5 (@9)
Military Press 3x5 (@9)
Chins 3x5-10 with weight
Dips 3x8-15 with weight
Biceps 3x10-20
Conditioning ( Farmers walk, bearcrawl with sled or similar exercise)

What do you think now Dan Lee?

Dan Lee
12-23-2014, 03:32 PM
I think it looks better.

What I think is cool:
You've separated the less specific work into the GPP days.
You're benching 3x per week with another day of military press and have the competition grip twice a week too. Plenty of pressing there. To clarify, are you doing a 9ct paused bench? That's a long time!
You've increased the low bar squat frequency. I would suggest you think about using the belt on both low bar squats. You're already getting in beltless squats twice a week.

A few things regarding the RPE's and FP%'s. Just some housekeeping and tidying up.
We don't specify a number of sets in advance. That's up to the fatigue % and how you work up to the top set.
So, if you see Saturday/Sunday's work, you may be working up to just a single top set @9. You may do dropsets after this, or not.

e.g.

Front Squat x 5 @9 [This says, work up to a single top set. You may have work up sets like x5 @ 7, x5 @ 8 before you hit a 9 to help you dial in the weight.]

I may do this as such:

85kg x 5 @ 7
95kg x 5 @ 8
105kg x 5 @ 9 - Stop

Front Squat x 5 @9, 3% Load drop [Like the above, but specifies you should drop the weight 3% and work it until it feels like a 9.]

85kg x 5 @ 7
95kg x 5 @ 8
105kg x 5 @ 9
102.5kg x 5 @ 9 [Rounded the weight off] - Stop

As an example, using RTS lingo [forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to capture what I think you intend to say]:

Monday:
Lowbar squat w/belt x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8-9, x1 @ 8-9, Load Drop 5%*
Pausebench x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8, x1 @ 8 ; x5 @ 8 Load Drop 5%
Dumbell rows - Density Work [10 mins]

Wednesday:
Deadlift x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8, x1 @ 8 ; x5 @ 8 Load Drop 5%
Highbar Pause Squats x4 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Pause bench 9 Ct x3 @ 9, Load Drop 5%

Sprints - 10-15 mins
Explosive jumps - 10-15 mins
Sled drag (conditioning) - 10-15 mins

Friday:
Lowbar squat x5 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Deficit deadlift or Pause deadlift x3 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Close grip bench x5 @ 8, Repeat 5%

Front Squats x5 @9
Military Press x5 @9
Weighted Chins - Density Work [10 mins]
Dips - Density Work [10 mins]
Bicep Curls - Density Work [10 mins]
Conditioning - [10 mins]

Specify the reps and target RPE.

Overall, I think the template is better and the work is more well separated. It could be improved though and I still can't say how good it is because there's so much that depends on.
[What's your training history like? etc.]

Regarding the 2nd GPP session, I don't think Front Squats and Military Press may belong there.
It suppose it depends, but normally in RTS GPP days are used to work neglected muscles like the abs, lats, biceps etc. [Abs are a special case. They can interfere with squat/dead if done heavily.]
Generally, we don't do anything that has a significant effect on what we work with the heavy work from our competition movements [stuff that works our quads, glutes, hams, triceps].
Not a deal breaker. You should just ensure it doesn't interfere. My main concern is if you squat and press to an RPE 9 the day before you go squat and bench on Monday it may not be great.

I'm not sure what else I can say. Figuring out the details like, 'Are these movements right for me?' will be dependent on thorough analysis of your technique and finer details on program design will depend on your strategy, how you set up your cycle.

ErikSwe85
12-23-2014, 05:24 PM
I think it looks better.

What I think is cool:
You've separated the less specific work into the GPP days.
You're benching 3x per week with another day of military press and have the competition grip twice a week too. Plenty of pressing there. To clarify, are you doing a 9ct paused bench? That's a long time!
You've increased the low bar squat frequency. I would suggest you think about using the belt on both low bar squats. You're already getting in beltless squats twice a week.

A few things regarding the RPE's and FP%'s. Just some housekeeping and tidying up.
We don't specify a number of sets in advance. That's up to the fatigue % and how you work up to the top set.
So, if you see Saturday/Sunday's work, you may be working up to just a single top set @9. You may do dropsets after this, or not.

e.g.

Front Squat x 5 @9 [This says, work up to a single top set. You may have work up sets like x5 @ 7, x5 @ 8 before you hit a 9 to help you dial in the weight.]

I may do this as such:

85kg x 5 @ 7
95kg x 5 @ 8
105kg x 5 @ 9 - Stop

Front Squat x 5 @9, 3% Load drop [Like the above, but specifies you should drop the weight 3% and work it until it feels like a 9.]

85kg x 5 @ 7
95kg x 5 @ 8
105kg x 5 @ 9
102.5kg x 5 @ 9 [Rounded the weight off] - Stop

As an example, using RTS lingo [forgive me if I'm wrong, I'm trying to capture what I think you intend to say]:

Monday:
Lowbar squat w/belt x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8-9, x1 @ 8-9, Load Drop 5%*
Pausebench x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8, x1 @ 8 ; x5 @ 8 Load Drop 5%
Dumbell rows - Density Work [10 mins]

Wednesday:
Deadlift x5 @ 8, x3 @ 8, x1 @ 8 ; x5 @ 8 Load Drop 5%
Highbar Pause Squats x4 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Pause bench 9 Ct x3 @ 9, Load Drop 5%

Sprints - 10-15 mins
Explosive jumps - 10-15 mins
Sled drag (conditioning) - 10-15 mins

Friday:
Lowbar squat x5 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Deficit deadlift or Pause deadlift x3 @ 8, Repeat 5%
Close grip bench x5 @ 8, Repeat 5%

Front Squats x5 @9
Military Press x5 @9
Weighted Chins - Density Work [10 mins]
Dips - Density Work [10 mins]
Bicep Curls - Density Work [10 mins]
Conditioning - [10 mins]

Specify the reps and target RPE.

Overall, I think the template is better and the work is more well separated. It could be improved though and I still can't say how good it is because there's so much that depends on.
[What's your training history like? etc.]

Regarding the 2nd GPP session, I don't think Front Squats and Military Press may belong there.
It suppose it depends, but normally in RTS GPP days are used to work neglected muscles like the abs, lats, biceps etc. [Abs are a special case. They can interfere with squat/dead if done heavily.]
Generally, we don't do anything that has a significant effect on what we work with the heavy work from our competition movements [stuff that works our quads, glutes, hams, triceps].
Not a deal breaker. You should just ensure it doesn't interfere. My main concern is if you squat and press to an RPE 9 the day before you go squat and bench on Monday it may not be great.

I'm not sure what else I can say. Figuring out the details like, 'Are these movements right for me?' will be dependent on thorough analysis of your technique and finer details on program design will depend on your strategy, how you set up your cycle.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the time you've put into this and all the feedback you've given me! I will do some changes that you've suggested.

Regarding training history. I weight 90-93 kg (91 right now). My best lifts in competition are:
Squat: 175 kg
Bench: 115 kg
Deadlift: 210 kg

Goals för the yearly competition at the local powerlifterclub:
Squat: 190
Bench: 130
Deadlift: 230

I really think that these goals are achieveable If I put all My effort to powerlifting and I focus on the three main lifts!

chris_ottawa
12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
My advice: look at the Generalized Intermediate program, I would say it's a good starting point for anyone interested in RTS programming, and you sound like you fit the profile of the avatar.

chris_ottawa
12-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Add a GPP day if you want, that's what I did.

Dan Lee
12-24-2014, 01:00 AM
No problem. I'm happy to help when I have the time. :)
Chris' idea to look at the GIP is a very worthwhile suggestion.
Just be sure to adapt it to your needs if you pick it up.

An alternative I think is just as good though, is just start from what you're used to doing.
Take what you had when you were training for sport and make it a bit more specific and you should see some gradual development.
This is a starting point and I presume this is similar to what you've written up there.

In either case, you should start tweaking it every cycle or so based on how you respond.

All the best with it!