PDA

View Full Version : Example of GPP workouts

ErikSwe85
12-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Hello!

I am going to do "Powerlifting sessions" (with Squat, bench and deadlift as main exercises) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, but I wanna train more than that. I want to train on Tuesdays and Thursdays as well and maybe also on a Saturday or Sunday.

Can you guys give me some example of RTS GPP workouts.

I have som suggestion here below. Tell me if I am on the right track or if I am totally wrong?

GPP workout 1:
Front Squats 3-5x5
Military Press 3-5x5-10
Chins 3-5x5-10 with weight
Dips 3-5x5-10 with weight
Biceps 3-8-20

GPP workout 2:
Explosive Jumps
Sprints
Sled drag or farmer walks with trapbar

GPP workout 3:
Highbar squat 5x5
Incline Dumbelpress 350 (3 sets, 50 reps total (Paul Carters 350 method)
Inverted row 3x10-20
Biceps 3x10-20
Core Training

What do you guys do when you are doing GPP workouts? How many GPP workouts do you do per week?

chris_ottawa
12-27-2014, 04:06 PM
GPP exercises are usually things not directly related to the main lifts. The main things would be lats, abs, and conditioning work. Also, include any sort of mobility or "pre-hab" work like external rotations and TKE's.

At one time I was doing 2 GPP workouts a week, with chin ups, rows, ab wheel, prowler work, and some mobility exercises. As I got a bit stronger and my work capacity increased (meaning I was getting more down sets in my regular training) I found that the GPP workouts were affecting my recovery so I cut it to one. Currently, I do 1 or 2 GPP exercises after my workout. Do what you feel is necessary, but don't overdo it. Unless you're training to be the chin up champ or the prowler pusher of the year, save your energy for the main work.

ChadHydro
12-27-2014, 06:16 PM
You're on the right track, but as Chris said, you have to make sure that anything you do doesn't affect your overall fatigue level (as in add too much to it). Front Squats, Military Press, High-Bar are probably too specific to really be GPP unless you do it with light enough weight such that you just "get a pump". A GPP workout IMO should just be get in, work up a sweat, get out.

Hellboy
12-28-2014, 07:13 AM
I usually do some HIIT work, like burpees or something like that for 7 rounds for 20 seconds, and rest 100 sec, ratio 1:5 ratio, this is done once or twice a week.
After that i am doing some stretching etc.