PDA

View Full Version : Training for a really busy guy

Piet
01-18-2015, 11:49 AM
So yeah, at the end of christmas break I finally realized the frankly astonishing workload I'm going to be dealing with this spring at the university. If I want to finally get the hell out of that place this summer, I have to pass everything I have planned, so studies come first for a while now. In addition to that, a new lady in my life keeps cutting into my lifting time :D

That said, I am not going to take a break from lifting because I'd lose my mind if I did. A whole week off from lifting during christmas break (I was sick), and I was restless beyond all belief. I need to train, at least a little bit.

Bearing that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions for how I should train right now? My training has been all over the place for a while now owing to a knee injury and a broken car, so at this point I honestly feel like I'm starting over. Work capacity is pretty low.

A 3x/week schedule is what I was thinking of. I also need to keep my sessions fairly short, i.e. an hour, so there is no way I could pull off something like the Texas Methods 5x5 for squat and press followed by stiff leg deadlifts (I have replaced the bench with the press in my training for now, benching has been wrecking my shoulders lately, and since I'm not looking to compete for now, I figure I'd finally work on the press more).

Something I came up with on the fly:
Monday:
Squat Volume
Pulling assistance

Tuesday:
Press volume
Press assistance (lockouts, close grip etc.)
Tricep work

Friday (Intensity day, 1-3RM)
Squat
Press
Deadlift (8/5/2RM rotating three weeks)

So uh, yeah. Any suggestions? I'm pretty much open to anything atm.

Apprentice
01-18-2015, 12:45 PM
I like your setup.

if I was you, I would go for something with more distributed days of training througout the wk and thus get some more frequent squatting in - always a press and a squat.

Mon
Squat volume
Press volume alternated with DL assistance (to keep within 1 hour)

Wed
Front squat/paused squat/light squat
Press Assistance (high incline CG bench for instance?) alt. with pulling assistance (pull-ups/rows)

Squat
Press

The friday might run a bit long.

Piet
01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I like your setup.

if I was you, I would go for something with more distributed days of training througout the wk and thus get some more frequent squatting in - always a press and a squat.

Mon
Squat volume
Press volume alternated with DL assistance (to keep within 1 hour)

Wed
Front squat/paused squat/light squat
Press Assistance (high incline CG bench for instance?) alt. with pulling assistance (pull-ups/rows)

Squat
Press

The friday might run a bit long.

Fridays training session is fine if it runs a bit longer because Friday is always a work free-evening for me :D thanks for the reply, that looks pretty good too actually

Piet
01-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Actually, I think this is a good time for me to try out a program I had planned on trying for a long time, but never got around to it. It's an old favorite from the starting strength forums. It was nicknamed Kitten Urban Assault, and it sort of stuck.

The base of it is that every week you work up to a progressively heavier single in each lift every week, and then back off with 4x4. Mind you, that's just the base of it. I plan on running it squatting and pressing twice a week (i.e. one of those 1x1-4x4 sessions and one higher rep session) and deadlifting once a week with some pulling variants thrown in. A lot of people have gotten good success with the program, and I figure that since I'm short on time, this might be a pretty good fit for me.

KUA = 1x1, 4x4

Monday:
Squat KUA
Press high rep
Chins

Wednesday:
Deadlift KUA
Pulling assistance

Friday:
Press KUA
Squat high rep
Chins

Not exactly RTS, but I'm eager to find out how well I do.

Josh
01-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Actually, I think this is a good time for me to try out a program I had planned on trying for a long time, but never got around to it. It's an old favorite from the starting strength forums. It was nicknamed Kitten Urban Assault, and it sort of stuck.

The base of it is that every week you work up to a progressively heavier single in each lift every week, and then back off with 4x4. Mind you, that's just the base of it. I plan on running it squatting and pressing twice a week (i.e. one of those 1x1-4x4 sessions and one higher rep session) and deadlifting once a week with some pulling variants thrown in. A lot of people have gotten good success with the program, and I figure that since I'm short on time, this might be a pretty good fit for me.

KUA = 1x1, 4x4

Monday:
Squat KUA
Press high rep
Chins

Wednesday:
Deadlift KUA
Pulling assistance

Friday:
Press KUA
Squat high rep
Chins

Not exactly RTS, but I'm eager to find out how well I do.

That setup actually looks really good for someone pressed for time. The 1x1 is not a true 1RM though is it? I think a single at RPE 9 (92-95%) would probably be fine, but I think a true 1 rep max grinder would wear on your body pretty hard.

Piet
01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
That setup actually looks really good for someone pressed for time. The 1x1 is not a true 1RM though is it? I think a single at RPE 9 (92-95%) would probably be fine, but I think a true 1 rep max grinder would wear on your body pretty hard.

No, you are right, it's not a true 1RM. It's heavy, and it is supposed to go up every week for as long as you can manage, but it's not supposed to be a proper 1RM. The idea is that a cycle is however long you can keep increasing the weight, and once it gets to be too much, you ramp up to a proper 1RM, and then use that to recalculate. The base program uses percentages, but I'll be going by feel like I always do (with percentages as rough guidelines).

Apprentice
01-19-2015, 04:06 PM
No, you are right, it's not a true 1RM. It's heavy, and it is supposed to go up every week for as long as you can manage, but it's not supposed to be a proper 1RM. The idea is that a cycle is however long you can keep increasing the weight, and once it gets to be too much, you ramp up to a proper 1RM, and then use that to recalculate. The base program uses percentages, but I'll be going by feel like I always do (with percentages as rough guidelines).

I like the look of it.

Why not RTS the shit out of it though?

Something like x1@9 + 4x4@8-9

Piet
01-19-2015, 05:31 PM
I like the look of it.

Why not RTS the shit out of it though?

Something like x1@9 + 4x4@8-9

I just might do that:D I'll run it fairly strict for a little bit before I go full RTS/RPE.

I've always lifted from the standpoint of what Rippetoe and Baker have said on numerous occasions, which is that percentages are always sub-optimal, and that the best thing to base your training on is the numbers that you have done the previous week.

That's not the same as proper autoregulation of course, but it's a good way to look at things I think. Your capabilities are probably most accurately predicted by what you have done very recently, as opposed to what you did months ago.

This makes me think actually: why don't other programs have the lifter do single(s) @9 often? I'd think that it would be a handy way of keeping track of where you are in your training, and I can't really imagine that it would be terribly stressful. Also, it would be very much specific to powerlifting, and we all love specificity ;)

I can understand why we wouldn't max out daily, but what harm could a heavy-ish single once a week do?

Chris Lee
01-27-2015, 11:31 AM
I can understand why we wouldn't max out daily, but what harm could a heavy-ish single once a week do?

Probably none, but also probably not optimal for most. That's where periodic blocks of volume, intensity, etc. come into play. If you like doing it more often, could also follow a 3-week progression from volume to intensity (x5 x3 x1) with appropriate down sets and accessories, but progressing through longer 2-4 week blocks is probably better long-term.

I also train on a very busy schedule so will just post with my experience. I can manage 3 days a week and follow the template below. I'm not a powerlifter, so my goals may not be the same as your goals, and my exercise choice might not be the same either. Right now squat, bench, deadlift and press are my main lifts.

Monday Wednesday Friday
A squat bench deadlift
p press front sq incline
pendlay db press lunge
B bench squat m press
rdl dips deadlift
p press step up db bench

Main lifts are generally x5 @9 /4-7% for volume, x2-3 @9-10 /3-5% for intensity. Supplements are x5-7 @8-9 /3-10% for volume and x4-6 @9 /3-6%. Weeks are rotated A/B and I will program in 2-4 week blocks depending on my calendar and goals. Main lifts and supplements will change over time. For example, I will transition to more olympic lifts before and during phases when I am doing more track/soccer during the week.

Note that intensity blocks ocassionally have a near-max double or triple -- this is by feel. Since I don't compete, there are times when I really feel like I can reach more and this gives me that opportunity. I will typically superset push/pull ovements in the supplements; for example, each press set followed by pendlay row or chin set. Saves me time and hasn't been a detriment... has also helped boost overall fitness. I also stretch from my previous lifts during down-time (stretch legs while doing arms). In this way, I can get a warmup, my three main lifts and stretching done in 60-70min max and I continue to make progress toward my lifting goals without hurting progress toward my life goals. I don't make new friends by chatting up my gym time but that's not one of my goals :)

ChadHydro
01-29-2015, 12:18 PM
I have a long commute to work. This basically means I don't get home until late. What I've done is split up my work between morning and evening. I usually do a Bench slot in the morning and a lower slot at night. Then on Saturday I have a session where I Squat, Bench, and Deadlift.

Just throwing in another example. I like this setup because it means I can get in and get out (I lift in my garage) and still have time for family at night.

It looks like this:

Tuesday
M: Bench
E: Squat

Wednesday
E: Squat

Friday:
E: Deadlift

Saturday:
Squat, Bench, Deadlift

PrimalAeon
01-30-2015, 05:42 AM
I have similar issue, basically I can only hit 2 slots / session on weekdays. I can however get in every day most of the time. That's why I order it by priority, in case something happens and I'll miss a session or two. Saturdays are more free, we are 2-3 people going to the gym and then later go for a nice brunch. I also help them quite a bit with technique etc (they are new to this), which in turn makes it perfect for me to do supplemental work and GPP.

Primary
M: Squat & Bench
T: Deadlift & 2nd Bench

Assistance
W: Squat & Bench
T: Deadlift & 2nd Bench

Supplemental
F: Squat & Bench
S: Deadlift & 2nd Bench + GPP