PDA

View Full Version : Total weekly stress

bradbanag
02-08-2015, 12:30 AM
I was reading programming to win and I was wondering why in the PIP3 program why the total weekly stress was so high? My question is, I'm wanting to program a 3 week cycle Volume-Recovery-Intensity with a upper lower split what would be a appropriate total stress for each week?

j2917
02-09-2015, 12:39 PM
Not sure if anyone here can speak to why Izzy wrote it up that way.... I believe Mike typically recommends 5% fatigue across the board. If you wanted to change it in each week, you would probably want the greatest fatigue in the volume week, least in recovery week, and medium in intensity week with the overall average being 5. Just a guess though.

Hyperflux
02-09-2015, 04:47 PM
On PIP3, you are overreaching in week 1 (volume), so you won't recover from the fatigue during that week. During the second week, you recover from that fatigue, and in the final week you supercompensate and PR. All this in theory of course.

Lewis
02-10-2015, 07:31 AM
Is waving stress in this manner generally considered to be more effective than simply programming medium stress every week?

Tim Zanghi
02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Is waving stress in this manner generally considered to be more effective than simply programming medium stress every week?

Depends on the level of the lifter and what you mean by "stress." For novices, linear periodization is just fine, and perhaps optimal. For advanced lifters, block periodization is more effective, in my opinion. If you just program medium stress every week, there is no accumulation of fatigue and subsequent supracompensation, unless you apply the stress in different manners, e.g., undulating volume and intensity, but keeping overall fatigue the same.

If by "stress" you mean volume, then applying medium stress every week wouldn't drive adaptation; your body would just adapt to the medium stress and never move on.

bradbanag
02-13-2015, 05:18 PM
Yeah, so in choosing fatigue %s should I consider the fatigue %s effect or just how it contributes to total weekly fatigue?

chris_ottawa
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
You guys would do well to read the RTS manual or at least some of Mike's articles on fatigue percents. Fatigue percents are used to regulate volume based on the fatigue accumulated after the top set - hence the name "fatigue percents". 0% fatigue does not mean that you will have no fatigue because you will still work up to a top set - it means that you will have no down sets or repeats, so volume will be lower. Higher fatigue% = more sets = more volume = more fatiguing. Intensity also causes stress - an @10 set is going to tire you out more than @6. So the more volume and/or intensity you have, the higher the stress level is. You can adjust the fatigue % based on the level of volume and stress you want for the week, 5% is just medium and not the only option.

I have just recently started using 3 week cycles for my programming, but I'm not deloading unless I really need it. My setup something like this:
Week 1 - intensity - low reps, 4-6% fatigue
Week 2 - volume - high reps, 6-9% fatigue
Week 3 - medium stress week (NOT deload) - medium rep range, 4-6% fatigue

chris_ottawa
02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Yeah, so in choosing fatigue %s should I consider the fatigue %s effect or just how it contributes to total weekly fatigue?

You should consider the effect on volume.