PDA

View Full Version : 3-Day Per Week Templates and Questions

RTSAdmin
02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
BAX wrote:
I am new to RTS and was look for some feedback on templates and answers to a couple of questions. Currently I am training on a 4-Day/Week template, but know that I will need to utilize a 3-day template at times. I am a raw powerlifter and have good experience with RPEs, but not with RTS style templates.

Here goes:

Low Frequency

Day 1

Primary Squat

Secondary Deadlift

Squat Supplement

Abs

Day 2

Primary Bench Main

Primary Bench Assist

Secondary Bench Supplement

Lats

Day 3

Primary Deadlift

Secondary Squat Main

Deadlift Supplement

Primary Bench Supplement

Abs

The only thing I am really concerned with here is the bench press as this is a “low frequency” template. I am just not sure if I have enough or too much benching.

High Frequency

Day 1

Primary Squat

Secondary Bench Main

Secondary Deadlift

Lats

Abs

Day 2

Primary Bench

Secondary Squat

Primary Bench Supplement

Lats

Day 3

Primary Deadlift

Primary Bench Assist

Deadlift or Squat Supplement

Secondary Bench Assistance or Secondary Bench Supplement

Abs

Also, I am curious on how long most people use exercises before they switch things up. Should you go through a developmental block of 2-3 weeks and a specialization block of 2-3 weeks before switching or do it sooner? I know that 6-8 weeks out from a contest I will concentrate on my raw main lifts and lifts very similar to the main raw lifts, but am curious how often I should rotate exercises farther out from a contest.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice is appreciated. BAX

RTSAdmin
02-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Mike Tuchscherer wrote:
Hi BAX,

There was a thread about 3 day per week training in the past. Google might be able to turn something up.

Idea for you on the low frequency side...
Why not make an "A" template that is Lower Upper Lower and a "B" template that is Upper Lower Upper? Then you could alternate the two templates each week.

My only observation (not a critique) of your high frequency template is Day 1. The way you have this laid out, this will be a long, tough workout. That's fine, but just so you know that it's going to be a gut-check to get in quality work on that last DL exercise. I've done this before for short times and it's worked well, but it can come as a surprise if you're not ready for it.

Regarding exercise rotation... keeping the same exercises for an entire block (~3 weeks) works well, but it's far from the only option.

RTSAdmin
02-15-2013, 01:05 PM
BAX wrote:
Mike,

I appreciate the advice. Just to clarify, for the low frequency days you are saying to have 2 upper body days one week and 2 lower body days the next and just rotate? Also I was able to find some of the old 3 days per week template and came up with this:

Day 1

Primary Squat

Secondary Bench Main

Deadlift Supplement

Day 2

Primary Bench Main

Primary Deadlift

Secondary Bench Supplement

Day 3

Secondary Squat

Primary Bench Assist

Squat Supplement

Primary Bench Supplement

I guess the only concern here would be missing the secondary deadlift. Also you commented on my other template being really tough on day 1. Should I replace the secondary deadlift with the deadlift supplement. I guess my concern there is the same above.

I appreciate the feedback.

Josh

RTSAdmin
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Mike Tuchscherer wrote:
<<Just to clarify, for the low frequency days you are saying to have 2 upper body days one week and 2 lower body days the next and just rotate?>>
Yes

Missing your secondary deadlift is almost a necessary evil with 3 day templates. If you make a place for it, it usually makes a single workout too hard to complete well. Of course, if you had time and inclination to spend 3 hours on a training session, you could make it work. But most people requiring a 3 day template don't have that luxury.