PDA

View Full Version : Extremely interested in DUP

ACfitness
03-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone!

Firstly, I would like to say thank you in advance for your time and patience.

I am very interested in DUP and how I can apply this method to my own training. Just a quick note... I have completed 1 year of 5/3/1 Boring But Big and have recently transitioned into the 5/3/1 Bodybuilding format, currently squatting, benching, deadlifting, ohpressing 1x per week with a bunch of accessory work. I like 5/3/1, its an easy to use template with its pseudo weekly periodization approach but in saying that I truly feel I need a change things to optimize my training time... so in comes DUP and all the benefits that it touts.

Despite the resources online right now I am slightly confused and frustrated around how to program and use this style of programming and hoping you guys can fill the knowledge gaps. I know that ratios can be played with between hypertrophy, strength and power. As Mike Zourdous put it, a basic template is Monday: 5X8 @70% Wednesday: 5X6 @75% Friday: 6X4 @80%. AMRAP last set. Does this mean Squat, Bench, Deadlift on all 3 days? All AMRAPS done on a single day (Friday)?

If anyone can provide an example of 3x per week DUP setup so I can extrapolate and apply that would be great. Also, given the accessory volume im currently doing, should there be additional accessory work within my DUP programming? (If your curious of what the work is, please see below). Thanks!

---------------------------------------
OH press day
Seated Dumbbell Press: 4x12
Dumbbell Lateral Raise: 4x12
Barbell Curls: 4x12
Hammer curls: 4x10

Deadlift day
Bent Over Barbell Row: 4x12
Lat pull down: 4x10
Back Raises: 4x10
Hanging Leg Raises: 4x12

Bench Press day
Incline Bench Press: 4x10
Dumbbell Press: 4x10
Dumbbell Flys: 4x12
Tricep Pushdowns: 5x20

Squat day
Leg Press: 5x15
Seated Leg Curl: 5x15
Leg Extension: 5x15
Weighted Sit Up: 4x12

j2917
03-13-2015, 09:08 AM
There are many ways to program using DUP. If I remember right, in one of Mike Z.'s studies he had it set up as hypertrophy first day, power second, strength third. On hypertrophy and power day it was squat and bench, on strength day it was squat, bench, dead. I ran it that way at first and have since added deadlift to hypertrophy day and a supplemental deadlift to power day. The thing about DUP though is there is no one way to do it. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend purchasing Mike Z's DUP video (https://store.reactivetrainingsystems.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AusDUPdwnld) from this site if you are interested in writing a program for yourself.

If you want to try and extrapolate, take a look at one of Mike's studies: http://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6817&context=etd

ACfitness
03-13-2015, 02:25 PM
There are many ways to program using DUP. If I remember right, in one of Mike Z.'s studies he had it set up as hypertrophy first day, power second, strength third. On hypertrophy and power day it was squat and bench, on strength day it was squat, bench, dead. I ran it that way at first and have since added deadlift to hypertrophy day and a supplemental deadlift to power day. The thing about DUP though is there is no one way to do it. If you haven't already, I would highly recommend purchasing Mike Z's DUP video (https://store.reactivetrainingsystems.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AusDUPdwnld) from this site if you are interested in writing a program for yourself.

If you want to try and extrapolate, take a look at one of Mike's studies: http://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6817&context=etd

I definitely will check out these resources, thank you!

Would you have any personal recommendations of an introductory cycle for 3x per week based off my current training 5/3/1 bodybuilding model?

j2917
03-13-2015, 07:25 PM
Since you're doing each of the big 3 only once per week now (plus OHP), you could start by adding a second slot for each and equate for volume such that you are only increasing a small amount for the first couple weeks. Maybe...

Monday (Med Hyp 8-10 rep range)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Wednesday (Light Hyp, 10-12 rep range)
OHP & other supplemental bodybuilding stuff...

Friday (Strength 2-6 rep range)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Obviously just a template, not a program... but the idea is, you start by getting the big three in 2x/week and a light day in the middle. The light day isn't a rest day... just less stressful overall to your body. You shouldn't do too much this day to interfere with strength day. On Monday, you could use a more supplemental or assistance version of the lift, eg. Front squats, high bar squats, close grip bench, rdl, paused variations, etc. On Friday stick to competition version. Just some thoughts.

ACfitness
03-14-2015, 08:52 AM
Since you're doing each of the big 3 only once per week now (plus OHP), you could start by adding a second slot for each and equate for volume such that you are only increasing a small amount for the first couple weeks. Maybe...

Monday (Med Hyp 8-10 rep range)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Wednesday (Light Hyp, 10-12 rep range)
OHP & other supplemental bodybuilding stuff...

Friday (Strength 2-6 rep range)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Obviously just a template, not a program... but the idea is, you start by getting the big three in 2x/week and a light day in the middle. The light day isn't a rest day... just less stressful overall to your body. You shouldn't do too much this day to interfere with strength day. On Monday, you could use a more supplemental or assistance version of the lift, eg. Front squats, high bar squats, close grip bench, rdl, paused variations, etc. On Friday stick to competition version. Just some thoughts.

These are great thoughts! I guess it will make more sense as to what would be most efficient once I hear Mike's DUP video on RTS.

Based off what I've read thus far, should it be Hypertrophy into Strength in this case if I dont have a power day (since I am only increasing main lifts to 2x per week)? I'm guessing your thoughts is that the lighter hypertrophy day is meant to increase recovery time in between initial Med Hypertrophy session and strength day. But I would find it challenging to program that light hyper session so that it doesnt interfere with the comp version on Friday. Are there any other alternatives or specifics for that light hyper day that may be viable?

j2917
03-14-2015, 12:07 PM
When I first started using DUP, I used my "power" day more as a "technique" day. So my template looked like...

Monday (Hypertrophy 8-10)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Wednesday ("Power" 1-3)
Paused or rack Squats
Paused or rack Bench
Pendlay Row

Friday (Strength 3-5)
Squat
Bench
Dead

I found that the paused versions left me plenty recovered for strength day. I think if you made power day a light hypertrophy day, you could be recovered enough for strength day too as long as you kept volume in check and increased it slowly enough to adapt to it.

The hyp/pwr/str model is only one way of doing it. In the study I linked to earlier, Mike compared it to hyp/str/pwr and found that the HPS group were more recovered on strength day and thus got more volume (because he programmed strength day as an AMRAP day). In his video and in other places you'll see that there are several methods to DUP. You could have HHPS HPHS HPP HSS HSH, etc, etc... just about any combination you can think of depending on your goals and your lifestyle (i.e. stress other than than training).

ACfitness
03-15-2015, 09:59 AM
When I first started using DUP, I used my "power" day more as a "technique" day. So my template looked like...

Monday (Hypertrophy 8-10)
Squat
Bench
Dead

Wednesday ("Power" 1-3)
Paused or rack Squats
Paused or rack Bench
Pendlay Row

Friday (Strength 3-5)
Squat
Bench
Dead

I found that the paused versions left me plenty recovered for strength day. I think if you made power day a light hypertrophy day, you could be recovered enough for strength day too as long as you kept volume in check and increased it slowly enough to adapt to it.

The hyp/pwr/str model is only one way of doing it. In the study I linked to earlier, Mike compared it to hyp/str/pwr and found that the HPS group were more recovered on strength day and thus got more volume (because he programmed strength day as an AMRAP day). In his video and in other places you'll see that there are several methods to DUP. You could have HHPS HPHS HPP HSS HSH, etc, etc... just about any combination you can think of depending on your goals and your lifestyle (i.e. stress other than than training).

Awesome, thanks!

Do you feel that Mike's DUP resource on RTS (https://store.reactivetrainingsystems.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AusDUPdwnld) is by far the best resource I can access online at this point on the subject? Or is there anything else I should be looking at?

j2917
03-15-2015, 11:17 PM
I would say it is by far the most detailed and informative. Two other really good articles are:

http://www.strengtheory.com/in-defense-of-program-hoppers-dup-revisited/

http://www.myosynthesis.com/undulating-periodization-bodybuilding

But Mike's video will actually help you write a complete periodized program. It's well worth the $, imo.

Nick McC
04-14-2015, 07:53 PM
I would like to echo that Mike's DUP resource on RTS is a good resource. I've ran cycles very similar to the one laid out in the video as well as with some ideas taken from his dissertation and it has been very successful for both me and my wife. I did not do singles for DL though as recommended by Dr. Zourdos as I did not see as much carry over to 1RM with that method. Instead I DL twice a week with percentage based on one day and plus sets on the next scheduled day.