PDA

View Full Version : adding AMRAP and every 3 weeks more weigth

Hellboy
04-26-2015, 10:06 AM
I looked at my trainingslogs when i did wendler (with added volume) I came to the conclusion i was stronger than i am now. The only thing that was different, i now have more workcapacity after the topset. After doing a couple of RTS cycles i don't see steady progress. I also still use more precentages then RPE, maybe it's not suited for me.
I made great progress on the wendler schedule and adding small amounts of weigth every 3 weeks still is a great way to make progress in combination with AMRAP (not till failure, keep one rep in the tank). RTS adds workcapacity. So i combine both and came to the following template that i am going to run. Here is the program that i am going to run:

Mon:
Comp Squat 5/3/1, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9)
Comp Bench 5/3/1, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9)
Military Press 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)

Tue:
Comp Deadlift 5/3/1, 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9)
CGBP 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)
Paused Deadlift 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)

Thu:
Pin Squats 5/3/1, 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9)
3ct Paused Bench 5/3/1, 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9)
TnG Bench 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)

Sat:
High Bar Full Squat 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)
Pin Press 6/5/4, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)
Deficted Deadlift, backoff 6-8-10% (keep 1 rep in the tank @9) (change exercise every 3 weeks)

After 3 weeks i add 2,5 kg to upper body exercises and 5kg to the lower body exercises.

chris_ottawa
04-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Your e1rm from rep maxes on 5/3/1 will be higher than your e1rm shortly after switching to RTS programming for a few reasons, mostly that you only have one actual work set on 5/3/1 unless you add down sets or "joker sets". After 2 work up sets at 90 and 95% of the top set weight - and for the same number of reps - it is quite likely that the top set will be harder if you don't have good work capacity. You should be more concerned about your actual max than estimated maxes based on rep PR's. Notice that the RPE chart and Wendler's 1rm calculation don't add up.

Hellboy
04-29-2015, 02:38 AM
5/3/1 uses 10% jumps instead of 5% in RTS, but this can be adjusted later on. I think the stronger you are the percentage needs to decrease, because the ratio is different.
I use Joker sets (week of 3 and 1 reps). One or two sets, with rep ratio between 1 till 3 not till failure (1 rep in the tank) and usually they are small jumps, like 2,5/5KG, then back to the second set and last set is done for 8 reps. On the 5 rep week i do pyramid and last set for multiple (depends on how i feel) sets of 8.

If i need more volume, i plan 3 weeks higher volume. I replace the secondary exercises with the primary, and do 5 * 2 90%, 5 * 3 85%, or 5 * 5 80%.

I recover quickly and deloads are only done after 3 waves. I think this is good enough for now.

I will post my findings after a couple of moths, so i won't be active on the forum.

chris_ottawa
04-29-2015, 10:00 AM
If you find that you make better gains on 5/3/1 then stick with it. The template you have above looks decent, the issue I had with 5/3/1 was the low volume and frequency on bench press which led to a plateau, I immediately made progress again once I switched to the GI program. So obviously you have that sorted out, as well as higher squat and deadlift frequency. Just remember that many other successful programs and training systems (Sheiko comes to mind) use exclusively submaximal weights and sets stay far from failure, it seems to me that rep maxes do more in terms of hypertrophy than strength and neural adaptations.

doh
05-01-2015, 02:11 AM
I actually considered something like this before. This allows "mini PRs" similar to what John Phung has been doing.

Day 1
Squat 5/3/1 + 2 backoff sets at 6-9%
Bench 5/3/1 + 2 backoff sets at 6-9%
Bench assistance. straight sets

Day 2
Deadlift 5/3/1 + 2 backoff sets at 6-9%
Press 5/3/1 + 2 backoff sets at 6-9%
Squat assistance. straight sets

Day 3
Squat 3x5, last set amrap (this one progresses linearly)
3ct paused bench 5/3/1 + 2 backoff sets at 6-9%
bench assistance. straight sets

Day 4
paused dead. straight sets
press 3x5, last set amrap
squat assistance. straight sets

von
05-22-2015, 12:14 AM
I don't see why your program wouldn't work aside from recovery, as personally I find AMRAP or near failure training to have the most soreness associated with them. Seeing as this thread was created nearly a month ago have you tried this routine out yet? I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Hellboy
05-24-2015, 02:19 PM
I just finished the first cycle. Last year i already did more volume but die upper lower body split. Now i do full body.

I got soms small pr's and i enjoy the training more.

Every 3 weeks i make small adjustments. This and last cycle i did 2 5/3/1 per lift. Next cycle is will do 5*5*80%, 5*3*85% and 5*2*90% for the second lifts.

AMRAP is not till failure. I allways leave at least a rep in the tank. Also form and bar speed must be good.

The reason i like 5/3/1 is because of the dual factor stimulus. Adding weight every 3 weeks and doing more reps when you can. This adds confidence, because you know you can increase weigth next cycle. Add some joker sets and progress is there.

And it is also a simple way tot program your training. And simple is better.

I will continue training, but i am not active on any forum, because i try tot focus on training.

Hellboy
07-03-2015, 09:22 AM
I now did 3 cycles, did a deload and now back to another cycle. After the 3rd cycle i was completely beat up. Maybe because it was a long time ago with AMRAP.
I noticed when you become stronger and the weights increase AMRAP is harder and progress stops. I had the same problem last year, before i switched to RPE. When you feel good it's easier to a few kg's to the bar and do the reps.

Despite the amount of volume i do, i now feel weaker, and cannot do the same volume when on RTS.

I will finish this cycle, and maybe go back to RTS. 6 week block with one deload week at the end where intensity medium-high and volume is low.
Maybe like 4/5/4 and then 3/2/3 block.

von
07-07-2015, 09:03 PM
So you think RTS is a better overall scheme after trying both? What about the AMRAP training? Do you think you will incorporate it into your future RTS programming?

Hellboy
07-08-2015, 01:23 PM
I think high frequency is better then upper/lower. But i think i am to agressive sometimes, and with AMRAP i maybe go to much for @10.
One thing i will change is just blocks of 3 weeks. So 3 week hypertrophy (4-5-4) and then 3 week intensity (3-2-3), then deload week (like triples or doubles without any backoff sets)
Also i will do some more variation for the secondary en supplement exercices each week.