PDA

View Full Version : New to RTS

AngelVasilev
05-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Hello !

I've been training for 2 years ( first one was 5x5 ) and this year I was experimenting with Brandon Lilly's Cube and some russian-type programs, all percentage based.

My current squat is 200kg lowbar , bench 140kg and deadlift(conventional) 237.5kg (done in my first competition, on 1st May) .
I am 178 cm tall and at about 83-85 kilos. I plan on training Monday, Wednesday , Friday, Saturday. It's periodized in 3 week blocks , where each 3rd week is 7-10% fatigue. ( 5s, 3s, 2s and 1s)

Monday:
SQ - 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Comp Bench 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Pause SQ - 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accesories(if i have time and am not tired) - Military press , BB Rows , Core work

Wednesday
Deadlift - 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Incline Bench press 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Sumo deadlift - 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accessories(Dips+curls , facepulls, core work)

Friday
Front SQ 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue ( not sure if front SQ or highbar SQ)
Close grip BP 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Romanian DL - 4x8
Facepulls

Saturday
Deficit deadlift 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
3ct paused bench press 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Paused deadlift (just below the knee) 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accessories(dips+curls, rear-delt flys, maybe core work)

On my third block (intensity) I plan to remove front SQ(highbar) and replace them with competition SQ and drop all accessories , except core work. On week 10 on Monday I will do the 3 competition lifts for 1s at about 92-95% of max and test on Friday or Saturday.

AngelVasilev
05-25-2015, 03:28 PM
bump

chris_ottawa
05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
If you're wondering why nobody replied, it's probably because you haven't asked a question.

What you have planned isn't totally unreasonable, but realize that you have 3 squat slots, 4 bench slots, and 5 deadlift slots. Also, you are doing a lot of GPP work which isn't really necessary. You would be better off with more benching rather than doing dips twice a week. Rows, chin ups, things like face pulls or rear delt fly, curls, and ab work are all good but you don't need to do that much, maybe once or twice a week each. That can also be done on an off-day, plus some conditioning.

I suggest you look at the Generalized Intermediate program to get a better idea of how to set yourself up. You don't need to follow the program if you don't want to, but the template for the first 4 weeks is more or less what you should be doing if you want to train 4x/week full body.

AngelVasilev
05-26-2015, 10:16 AM
On off-days I do cardio(jogging mostly, sometimes mountain climbing). And the accessories I've put up aren't a necessity (only if I feel like it and if I do them it's not all of them - just 1 or 2). The idea of putting dips is because my triceps is a weakness and doing dips helps me alot ( I switch it up though - sometimes dips , sometimes standing OHP).

I am used to that much deadlifting ( even more ) from previous protocols though. But maybe I should remove some deadlift slots and use them in the different blocks if that is what you advice?

chris_ottawa
05-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Maybe do more deadlifting per session (as in higher volume per exercise). In a "regular" RTS template the exercise slots are split 50/50 between pressing and lower body, and lower body is usually 50/50 between squat and deadlift or even less on deadlift. Of course, if you have a different way that works better then don't et me stop you, I'm just giving you an idea of the typical setup.

If your triceps are weak then other exercises like board presses, bench with bands or chains, floor press, close grip variations, and slingshot bench will probably have more direct carryover than dips. I'm speaking from personal experience, at one time I was doing a lot of dips and military press and making progress on them but my bench was going nowhere. I cut dips out, reduced military pressing, and increased bench/variations and now I'm making good gains on bench again.

AngelVasilev
05-27-2015, 05:55 AM
Personally for me dips and OHP have alot of carry over (it has worked this far). But I will put your ideas to use next time (after testing my 1 RM). Thanks for the reply and good ideas !

AngelVasilev
06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
On the second block I plan to do this :

Monday:
SQ - 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Comp Bench 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accesories(if i have time and am not tired) - Military press , BB Rows , Core work

Wednesday
Deadlift - 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Incline Bench press 1x5 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Sumo deadlift - 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accessories(Dips+curls , facepulls, core work)

Friday
Pause SQ 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Close grip BP 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Romanian DL - 4x8
Facepulls

Saturday
Deficit deadlift 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
3ct paused bench press 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Paused deadlift (just below the knee) 1x3 RPE9 with 4-6% fatigue
Accessories(dips+curls, rear-delt flys, maybe core work)

I think of removing the sumo on day 2 or should I use it for back-off sets as volume work ? And replacing the paused DL for rack pulls?

Any opinion and other ideas will be greatly appreciated.