PDA

View Full Version : RTS style upper lower split - please shoot

Kruider
05-12-2015, 06:16 AM
I've been lifting according to the RTS principles for over 1,5 years where each training day consists of at least 1 upper and 1 lower body exercise. Because my recovery (age, work, kids) is not getting any better (43 yrs), I'm thinking of switching to a personalized upper/lower version of RTS as listed in the manual.

I'm a raw lifter, deadlift sumo and my sticking points are
- Weak from the floor (deadlift)
- Bench: 2 to 3 inches from the chest
- Squat: slighty above parallel

If possible I'd like to incorporate lower and somewhat higher (5-8) rep work for squats and bench in 1 training week.

My initial set-up
Day 1
Raw Squat (2-5 reps)
Deficit Deadlift conventional
Front Squats /SSB Squats (5-8 reps)

Day 2
Benchpress main
Paused Benchpress
Military press
Chins

Day 3
Sumo Deadlifts
Pause Squats
Snatch Grip RDL

Day 4
Slingshot (full boar) t&g for higher reps
Close Grip Floor Press
Rows (T-Bar / Pendlay)

I'll progress by mainly doing 3 week volume and 2 to 3 week intensity blocks.

Btw, I train at home.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

chris_ottawa
05-12-2015, 03:38 PM
A couple of things:

-Why is paused bench press after bench press? The comp. lifts should be prioritized.
-Why not do t&g bench before slingshot bench? By the way, I don't think the pause makes any difference at all with the slingshot.
-Why only 2 pressing exercises on day 4?

Since you are a raw lifter, the standard template for upper body days should look more like this: (you have the right idea for lower body)

Day1

Comp. bench
Bottom end emphasis (long pause, spoto press, etc)
Shoulder emphasis (overhead/incline press)

Day 2

t&g bench
Lockout emphasis (slingshot, board/pin press, floor press)
Tricep emphasis (any close grip variation, JM press if you're into that)

You could also do rows/chin ups and any other GPP work (abs, conditioning) on an off day.
I don't think that doing 8 reps on squat and bench is necessarily a good idea, personally I never go over 5 and Mike has people doing up to 6. Too many reps can lead to bad technique and don't carry over as much to strength. If you want to do sets of 7-8 it's better to keep that for supplemental lifts (the last lift of the day in your case).