PDA

View Full Version : SI Joint Issues

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:20 AM
kfzofa wrote:
Hi,

I've had issues with my right SI joint going on for over three months now. During these three months I've had to deload my squat significantly and thus have made no progress, I've also had to halt deadlifts all together. I had always thought it to be a problem with my right glute or external rotators but it's definitely the right SI joint.

Since my discovery I've been stretching the joint and trying to mobilize it in hopes alleviating the pain. Since my deload on my squats I've managed to maintain squatting with minimal to no pain, deadlifts on the other hand are out of the question. With as light as 135lb the pain begins right after I start moving the bar from the start position, it's almost like a constant, consistent pain (1.5-2/10) up until I finish the lift.

I've done exhaustive searching and I've tried all the stretches and mobilization exercises out there. None seem to really activate the area and bring about the same pain felt during deadlifts better than the last exercise in the following image:
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5645/sacroiliacexercisespage.jpg

Are there any stretches or mobilization exercises that can be done using bands? How else should I attempt to combat this pain? Should I keep squatting and increasing weights while attempting to test the waters with my deadlift at this point or should I rest?

Any pointers or tips are highly appreciated. Thanks.

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:20 AM
Ben Nelson wrote:
check out www.mobilitywod.com i know there is a video on there somewhere and the guy is awesome with dealing with injuries check out his youtube channel also it may make it easier finding the video

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:21 AM
kfzofa wrote:
Thanks. I've been following mobilitywod for a while. I haven't seen anything specific to SI joint issues, just general hip mobility. I'll search again.

RTSAdmin
Mike Tuchscherer wrote:
What exactly are the issues you've been having? You just say SI joint issues. Do you know exactly what they are? If not, I'd encourage you to see a professional and get it diagnosed. Especially if it's been over 3 months and not showing signs of improving.

RTSAdmin
Bowzer wrote:
Why on earth would you want to "mobilize" the SI joint?

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:22 AM
kfzofa wrote:
Mike, I made an appointment with a local chiropractor. Hopefully he can unfuck my joint.

Bowser: http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=50535

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:22 AM
Ben Burgess wrote:
x2. Pain in the low back region can often be referred pain, i.e. the area which is hurting is not the area in which there is a problem.

RTSAdmin
02-22-2013, 05:23 AM
Bowzer wrote:
I guess a lot of it depends on your definition of "mobilization." And at what time you are doing the "mobilizations." I'd prefer to call those "mobilizations" shown as "manipulations. I thought you were referring to improving the movement of the joint similar to what someone would do during a warm-up. Considering the nature of the SI joint, you should be able to see why I wondered why you would want to do that. Additionally, I've experience SI joint pain (and had my SI joint slip out of place). Those manipulations are a good start, but you also need to address what the underlying cause of the issue.

http://bretcontreras.com/2012/05/the-sacroiliac-joint-takes-a-beating/

Here is another article to look over. My recommendations are generally to include some kind of glute work into your warm up. A modified clam with a short band works well as do band abduction squats. Addressing thoracic mobility and mobility of the hips is also of great assistance as tightness in either of those areas usually cause stress on the SI joint. I also found a ART chiro that really helped.