PDA

View Full Version : Singles before volume work...how often?

jcross485
11-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Just curious as to how often you guys are working up to a single @ 8ish RPE before doing your volume work. Is it just when you do the competition lift or are you doing it on other days with variations as well (ie. Pause Squats, Close-Grip Bench, Alt. Stance Deads, etc)? Thanks in advance!

SteveG
11-11-2015, 02:42 PM
I started the squat everyday in March of this year and I continue to do that. I work up to a single every day and then hit back off work. I alternate between low bar and high bar every day and on bench I alternate between competition bench, close grip and incline. since I've started this in March, I have gotten stronger in all lifts and stayed injury free compare to my old programming of DUP rep after rep. I'm rarely sore and my workouts are short and sweet. Best thing I ever did. Mike just sent out an email recently explaining that you should have a wilkes of 350 or better before you do the single @8 or 4 to 5 years of training under your belt (no pun)

chris_ottawa
11-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Just curious as to how often you guys are working up to a single @ 8ish RPE before doing your volume work. Is it just when you do the competition lift or are you doing it on other days with variations as well (ie. Pause Squats, Close-Grip Bench, Alt. Stance Deads, etc)? Thanks in advance!

Check out the training logs ("Blogs" button up above) to see some examples. It's on variations as well, but not everything.

jcross485
11-12-2015, 05:45 AM
I started the squat everyday in March of this year and I continue to do that. I work up to a single every day and then hit back off work. I alternate between low bar and high bar every day and on bench I alternate between competition bench, close grip and incline. since I've started this in March, I have gotten stronger in all lifts and stayed injury free compare to my old programming of DUP rep after rep. I'm rarely sore and my workouts are short and sweet. Best thing I ever did. Mike just sent out an email recently explaining that you should have a wilkes of 350 or better before you do the single @8 or 4 to 5 years of training under your belt (no pun)

Thanks for sharing your experience! Currently, my wilks is sitting right around 400. I've been in the gym for about 9 years now but really didn't get into powerlifting until 2 years ago. Luckily, I actually developed a half decent base of strength doing less than ideal training when it comes to the big three.

Check out the training logs ("Blogs" button up above) to see some examples. It's on variations as well, but not everything.

Will do...thank you sir!