PDA

View Full Version : OHP plateau

bradbanag
01-06-2016, 08:01 AM
I have been stuck for the last 2-3 months on my ohp never being able to progress. I am currently using a RTS styled program and I am wondering if anyone has had any similar issues with plateauing on ohp and any solutions.. Thanks :)

chris_ottawa
01-06-2016, 03:12 PM
If powerlifting is your priority then OHP is irrelevant as long as bench is moving up. If OHP is your priority then stop benching so much and focus on OHP.

j2917
01-07-2016, 08:45 AM
Embrace the plateau. It's the way with OHP. :) I'm currently plateaued with that lift as well, and I'm embarrassingly weak at it, even more so than the big 3, so it irritates me. The two things that I am doing to continue progress are 1.) lowering the weight 2.) increasing the volume (more reps per set). No magic... just figuring that, as with any lift, going stale usually means you're not presenting your body with a unique enough stimulus to make it adapt. So change what you're doing, either through using a new variation (push press, dumbbell press, seated press... or better, incline bench is a good option here if, as Chris mentioned, you are more concerned about powerlifting than general strength), through strengthening the weak muscles that are holding you back (triceps and shoulders in this case), and/or by manipulating the volume and intensity. What helps me most (psychologically speaking) is knowing that, like Chris said, if my focus is the big three, then it really doesn't matter if my OHP is going up. I keep doing it because 1.) I like it 2.) I want to and 3.) shoulders, but I don't beat myself up about it knowing that it's the lowest priority lift.

Rerack
01-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Does anyone feel like failure really surprises you with the OHP? I'll be doing a set, feel great for the first 5 reps (like I can go forever) and then all of the sudden on number 6 it's like my arms don't work anymore.

bradbanag
01-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Yeah, that also happens when I Close Grip Bench as well, when I do like 5 reps I instantly die on the 6th. It is bad tricep endurance