PDA

View Full Version : Non linear and undulated periodization..

RTSAdmin
03-12-2013, 07:32 AM
MPersson wrote:
Anyone who ever tried this on a RTS based program? All I've seen is that most of you do linear stuff by the bible, volume/intensity, is this because none ever tried it or because it sucks?

RTSAdmin
03-12-2013, 07:33 AM
randrew804 wrote:
I'm fumbling around with it. Not clear on how to peak and taper with it. I'm probably mixing plan designs from other styles, like Block plans, and I just need to quit that. But 2 PRs in the last cycle, so I don't think it sucks.

I train 4x per week with 3 different daily schemes. Hypertrophy is 5 reps+ <75% of 1rm...this is where I do beltless squats/alternate press/upper back. Strength day is 3 to 5 reps 80-90% of 1rm....here is 5 rep squat @10, 3 rep pause bench@8-9, 3 rep deads@8. Power is 1 to 3 reps 80-95% of 1rm.....here is pause squats or squatw/belt for doubles@9, board press or reverse bands for doubles or triples @8-9, and more 3 rep deads@8. I do the Power day twice (cause recovery from the low reps is easier), Hypertrophy and Strength both once.

The two things that are making the most sense are grouping the repetition ranges so that I can plan recovery better and assigning exercises based on force curve issues. For example, I have a wedge shaped squat. I need reps and hi rpe's, so those go on the Strength day. I benefit from pauses too so I put those on a Power low rep day. The 2-3 rep work seems like it can go anywhere and not mess things up.

RTSAdmin
Donald Lee wrote:
Persson,

What do you mean by linear? And, what type of undulating periodization are you asking about (e.g., daily, weekly)?

RTSAdmin
krisfranorge wrote:
I haven't trained linear since 2004, so I don't know what to say.

RTSAdmin
03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
MPersson wrote:
Oh linear might have been the wrong word, but I meen the Volume/Intensity style of training.

Im interested in weekly and daily, and also the non linear shit. I've bought and waiting to get "Optimixing strength training" by Kraemer and should get a better understanding then. But the main question is how do you progress progression? Do you graduly turn up the intensity, ex week 1 75%, week 2 85%, week 3 80%, week 4 90%, or do you just track it with poundage/NL etc?

RTSAdmin
randrew804 wrote:
I run my DUP in a 3 wk block then taper and test. I do a mixture of autoregulating with rpe's and some scheduled progression. On my belt-less squats Hypertrophy work, its +10 lbs/wk. On my wedge shaped force curve squats @10 force curve work will start with 5s and drop to 4s or 3s. And on my flat force curve bench and dead work, it starts with 3s and ends with 2s. So average intensity climbs toward the taper and test. I am not clear on when my body percieves the taper has started and you may find some challenges there. If you start dropping 5's to 3's and 3's to 2's, you can quickly get a significant drop in volume and your body may taper ahead of your plan. But YES to your question, I schedule some linear progression in weight during each DUP block

RTSAdmin
Donald Lee wrote:
You can gradually increase intensity if you want with RTS, but you don't use set percentages. You can pretty much use any periodization scheme or mix of schemes you want. You know you're progressing if your 1-RM or predicted 1-RM goes up.

Mike Tuchscherer
03-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Donald Lee is right on, IMO.

There is a notion that linear periodization = poison, but I haven't found that to be true. Sure, you can take it too far, but just because two data points line up doesn't mean it's a linear program. Even some of the best DUP programs have an overall linear progression of intensity.