PDA

View Full Version : Article: Mental Toughness

Mike Tuchscherer
03-15-2013, 10:14 AM
You can view the page at http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?79-Mental-Toughness

Hughes14
11-21-2013, 11:42 PM
Awesome post. Will spread this around!

dlocas
11-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Overtraining was unknown to me back when I was given a YORK barbell set for my 14th birthday, way back in... 1953? Nope... Back in '86, when Rocky IV had just been released. When we watched Rocky training, it never occurred to anyone of us kids to think "Man... but he's overtraining! We just knew he was getting super tough so he would kick the big Russian's ass! But back to my first barbell set: it came with a blue booklet explaining the basic lifts. Not a single mention of anything remotely akin to overtraining (it was more like "do this, and this and this, and you'll get stronger"). There was even a section which said "If a body-part starts to lag behind, you can work it daily in special sessions"! This is how I started squatting, deadlifting and benching three times a week. I would faithfully do what was written in the booklet, which called for three full body sessions per week... less some muscular behemoth like the Road Warriors would materialize out of that booklet and call me a sissy if I didn't! Not that long ago (I'm not even old yet!), overtraining was a little bit like "Back to the Future" Plutonium in 1955: much harder to come by. Now it seems to be readily available everywhere!