PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Question: What is general strength?

BobW
04-22-2013, 08:58 PM
Another thread on this board, as well as ongoing discussion with some colleagues got me thinking: what do we mean by "general strength", and how best do we train for it?

I don't mean general strength that a powerlifter or strongman competitor needs. That's pretty easy.

But suppose you have an athlete who is a thrower. Or that you're training somebody who has been largely sedentary, and just wants to increase their "general strength".

I like some of the things Danny John says: there's a couple fundamental movements we need. Pick something up from the floor. Carry something. Place something overhead.

I think Dan adds in such things as being able to get your own ass off the floor/ground in a hurry, and talks about Turkish get ups.

But take those first three. Are they a pretty comprehensive list of what we consider to be "general strength?" How best to train for them?

cwinter1224
04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
From an athletic development standpoint in my opinion general strength refers to the ability to assume, maintain/stablize, and transition from a wide array of body positions. I think there are fundamental motor patterns that are essentials across the board in sport. It always comes down, at least in the field of S&C, to the never ending debate on "general vs specific." When assessing general vs specific it is important to evaluate the fundamental qualities of that specific sport to assess what your general patterns are going to be.

Mike Tuchscherer
04-23-2013, 04:58 PM
Makes sense. Where do you personally stand on specific vs general? What patterns would you include for an athlete during an early preparation phase?