PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit Template

brudman
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I have been following some CrossFit programming (Outlaw, if you've ever head of it) for 6 weeks. I have enjoyed it, set some PR's, and conditioning/work capacity has improved dramatically for such a short period. However I've found that in some areas my skills are strong (i.e.: squats, pressing, pullups), but in others, I am a mere novice (C&J, snatch, Muscle Ups, Hand Stand Pushups). This has caused me to scale many of the workouts in such ways that the training effect has been good for conditioning, but I am not developing the weak areas as quickly as I would like.

I have been thinking about a template where I might be able to continuing progressing in strong areas, while catching up in weak ones. I have also attached an excel sheet totaling weekly fatigue. I am a little unsure as to how I should treat conditioning. Perhaps that's where TRAC might come in handy.

I am very open to any input.

Note: Regardless of fatigue %, 10 minute fatigue stops will be applied so as to reduce rest periods.

Day 1
High Bar Back Squat x5@9-10, 5%
Bench x5@9-10, 5%
Clean x3@9-10, 5%
Conditioning – 8-12 Minutes

Day 2
Drop Snatch – x5@9-10, 0%
Snatch – x2@8-9, 5%
Hand Stand Push Ups - x__@9, 5%
Conditioning – 12-20 Minutes

Day 3
Front Squat, x5@8-9, 5%
Push Press, x5@9-10, 0%
Deadlift, x5@9-10, 0%

Day 4 – Rest

Day 5
HBBS x3@9-10, 0%
Bench x3@9-10, 0%
Clean x1@9-10, 0%

Day 6
Snatch x1@9-10

Day 7 – Rest

Conditioning Exercises
Tier 1 - Often Included
- Pull Ups (Both Strict & Kipping)
- Muscle Ups
- Toes to Bar
- Hand Stand Push Ups
- Running

Tier 2 - Sometimes Included
- Thrusters
- Ring Dips
- One Legged Squats
- Power Cleans
- Power Snatches
- Burpees

Tier 3 - Sometimes Included, less often than Tier 2
- The rest of the world of exercises used in CF

Mike Tuchscherer
05-03-2013, 03:31 AM
Interesting. After a cursory look, I think the template is fine, but the key for you is progression.
TRAC is going to be a much better way to handle fatigue management because it gets right to the point. How much stress am I dealing with? Fatigue percentages give you an approximation, but as I'm sure you noticed there are some minor conceptual issues with so many traits being pursued that often span multiple categories.

brudman
05-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks Mike. Are you saying I should ignore fatigue percents altogether and only add volume through drop sets if I am a). progressing, and b). TRAC recommends it?

Mike Tuchscherer
05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
Get your volume in. That is important. But I think in your case using TRAC instead of fatigue percents will get more to the point and reduce confusion and ambiguity.