PDA

View Full Version : Pre-meet massages

RTSAdmin
01-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Butcher wrote:
What does everyone think of massages the week before a meet? Experiances? Are some massage styles more beneficial than others? I was thinking of getting a massage or two during a sport form week prior to the test day to see if it would be worth doing prior to a meet.

RTSAdmin
01-31-2013, 02:58 PM
Laura wrote:
I have great first hand knowledge on this. Up until this year, I have always tried to keep my massages at least 2 weeks away from a meet. This was based on the fact that I had several "off" regular lifting days that immediately followed a massage. Once I started my RTS program, my volume was up, and I felt the need to get a massage closer to my meet. It was my first meet of the year, and an unsanctioned event, so I figured I would see how things went getting the massage only 2 days prior. It. Was. Great. It was so good, in fact, that I have purposely scheduled my next massage for 2 days prior to my meet next Saturday.
I am lucky to have an amazing massage therapist who will customize my massage to what I need. One thing I highly suggest is going to someone who also understand reflexology as well as knows how to use hot & cold stones. The use of the stones together is essentially Contrast Method.
Last, I would suggest NOT getting a deep tissue massage within a few days of a competition, and I would also not suggest getting a massage at all prior to a meet if it isn't something you've done before.
Doing a trial run during your Sport Form week sounds like a great idea :)

RTSAdmin
01-31-2013, 02:59 PM
Donald Lee wrote:
In my opinion, myofascial-type work is superior to other modalities if you're looking for structural/muscular benefits.

If you just want to feel better/destress, a mix of Swedish with some deep tissue on problems areas is the way to go.

As far as everything else goes, it sort of depends.

I recently graduated from Massage Therapy school, so I was getting massages every week.