PDA

View Full Version : Powercleans

0ni
05-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Are powercleans good exercise for powerlifting?

BobW
05-13-2013, 09:53 PM
That all depends on the individual in question, and what you're hoping to achieve. I'd program power cleans as an accessory movement to help with upper back strength, and maybe hip extension. Will they help with powerlifting? Maybe. There might also be better ways to address the weaknesses.

Mark Jamsek
05-14-2013, 01:49 AM
I don't think power cleans are an optimal exercise for a powerlifter. There are better movements that would benefit and drive your competition lifts more effectively. Conversely, I think deadlifts are a great lift for weightlifters.

0ni
05-14-2013, 06:27 AM
That all depends on the individual in question, and what you're hoping to achieve. I'd program power cleans as an accessory movement to help with upper back strength, and maybe hip extension. Will they help with powerlifting? Maybe. There might also be better ways to address the weaknesses.

This was sort of what I was thinking. I was struggling to find a benefit over other exercises but couldn't. Yet I see loads of people seem to recommend them.
Looking at strong people that use them (ignoring weightlifters), they are mostly athletes and strongmen who require this ability. I know Jamie Lewis uses them but only because he can't deadlift heavy anymore

Mike Tuchscherer
05-15-2013, 07:09 AM
Of course every tool has its uses, but in my years of coaching I can't think of a time I've ever programmed power cleans for a powerlifter who didn't specifically want to develop their power clean as well. So unless you're a) a special case or b) you really want a good power clean, I'll go ahead and say no.

Donald Lee
05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Yeah...I see very little relation between the 2 movements. You're not even pulling that fast off the ground with the powerclean. You do a fast but controlled pull off the ground and then explode with the 2nd pull. You also end up doing a double knee bend that isn't allowed in the competition deadlift. So, I don't see it as a very good deadlift variant, even if you're into explosive training or the DE method.