PDA

View Full Version : TRAC

webby
05-19-2013, 04:54 AM
Just thought i'd share an observation i've made about my trac results and see if anyone else had found the same thing.
I've had some terrible nights sleep in the last few months and have expected my trac to be terrible the following morning. instead what I've found is that the morning after a bad nights recovery my trac has been fine but the second morning after has been terrible.
Can't comment on how its affected training yet because it has fortunately usually happened on the friday night before my two days rest. Pretty sure thats no coincidence either being at the end of some big weeks of training.
Intrested on everyone else's experience's!

BobW
05-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Well, I'm not currently using TRAC, but I can tell you from experience that I feel worse two days after a bad night's sleep, and definitely don't perform as well. My rule for Saturday comps is that as long as I can sleep well on Thursday night, Friday night doesn't matter at all.

webby
05-19-2013, 07:12 PM
I hadn't thought that far ahead but you're right it would definitely be worth knowing come comp time.

Stephen Dalessandro
05-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I have something similar, but with training days. I'm struggling to figure out why. The day after a heavy session, my TRAC score is okay, but then the next day, it's always worse. Never fails, same thing every time I train. I will say this, TRAC has been spot-on, if I am stressed, not sleeping, etc., the scores are accurate as can be. And every time, after two days of rest, it returns to a good score. Great tool that has helped me dial in on the right volume/intensity.

webby
05-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Definitely a great tool stephen! How good is the session back after two days rest

Mike Tuchscherer
05-22-2013, 05:09 AM
To be honest, I have no idea why there is a 1 day lag in the results. But here's a narrative that I kind of support based on Stephen's experiences...

So we understand that TRAC is measuring adaptability, we can kind of make sense of it. Let's use the sink analogy (http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/showthread.php?918-The-Sink-Analogy). TRAC measures the size of the drain on a given day. So my guess is that after a large or particularly difficult training session, the next day your recovery is in high gear to deal with the stress. Then the second day, there is some residual fatigue in whatever mechanisms are responsible for the adaptation, so the drain is a little smaller.

webby
05-22-2013, 08:22 AM
thanks for the input Mike, just to clarify are you suggesting that in my case a bad nights sleep makes the drain smaller the following day and maybe then the added stress of the days lifting is what causes the poor performance the following day? I'll pay more attention next time that i have a bad sleep on a night before a rest day and see what happens with my TRAC

Mark Jamsek
06-21-2013, 03:53 AM
My experience is exactly as webby and Bob describe. My TRAC scores are really bad, and performance definitely suffers two days after a poor night of sleep. This week I've also experienced something similar to what Stephen posted. Though it's hard to attribute it solely to a heavy/high stress session as I also suffered poor sleep that night. Tuesday I had an unusually awesome workout after two days of rest. Everything felt light, and I got a lot of volume in before hitting my fatigue %. Unfortunately I followed it up with only 5 hours sleep Tuesday night. Normally I would train Wednesday, but couldn't, so trained Thursday instead. My TRAC sucked, I was weak, injured my back, and couldn't even finish the workout. I guess in this case it was the combination of an unusually extensive training session two days prior compounded by the poor sleep. But I've had a lot of instances where poor sleep alone resulted in poor TRAC scores and poor workouts two days later.

What I would like to know is how much does poor sleep following a workout reduce the training effect of that session? Do we eventually make it up when we sleep well again, or is it too late?

Mike Tuchscherer
07-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Webby, I think it can be a contributing factor, yes.

Mark, I don't have a good answer for you there. I tend to think that it affects it only slightly. I think your state before the session is probably more important. But please understand that I have absolutely nothing to back that up other than gut feeling.