PDA

View Full Version : Squat cue

Kyo
06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
Hey man, I've found your material very helpful and interesting. I'm very much the person who has to know why something works especially with programs. Yours has been the thing I'm looking for.

Anyway, I only just recently watched a YouTube video of yours for cueing the deadlift and found both breathing but especially the "shoulder blades in back pockets" cue very effective.

I've read your article on squat cues but were there any good cues you found useful specifically when you were trying to nail your form down like the shoulders/pockets one?

Mike Tuchscherer
06-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Thanks for posting! I'm glad you made it over to the forum! And I'm glad the deadlift video was helpful.

Cues are really tough because they have to be individualized. A certain cue might work for some people but not others. Is it possible for you to post a video of your squat? That would help a lot. Or even a description of what technical problems you're having would be helpful.

Kyo
06-10-2013, 10:50 PM
I put a time starter for the link. Didn't seem to work in here. Just start at 1:04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=82cITGGLIjs#t=66s

My trouble is knowing what to focus on when i get around a 5rm. i can nail form on weights around 90% of 5rm but the cues i use for those weights don't seem to help for anything heavier. I'm also still not 100% about foot angle, width, how much leading with hips/knee movement. When i struggle i question the those technique choices. The constant experimenting probably isn't helping me.

Ideally just trying ot find a visual to focus on to help activate muscles/technique for the squat. Tried many for deadlift before you "shoulder blades in pockets" but none worked. For some reason yours helped tremendously in that 5rm range in the DL.

Appreciate your time!

BobW
06-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Couple thoughts: focus on getting a whole lot tighter in your setup. Compare all the movement you're doing with Mike when you walk out and setup - you're way too loose. Working on that, will, I think help you a lot when it comes to expressing more intensity in the lift.

Try to drive up through your chest. If you were a chick, I'd tell you stick your rack out and show it off.

Mark Jamsek
06-13-2013, 12:06 AM
My squat is no model at all, but like Bob said, I don't think you're nearly tight enough to begin with. Engage your lats by squeezing your elbows down and chest up. Again, I'm no expert but I think you might be going too deep. Actively force your knees out from the beginning and focus on keeping the tension in your hamstrings and upper back throughout the whole lift because you're shifting forward and dropping your chest at the bottom.

Mike Tuchscherer
06-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Your getting some good tips, so be sure to listen. I would only add to focus on one, maybe two things at once. Take one or two cues, then use them for a few weeks. Once you get comfortable, re-assess. You might find that fixing one issue helps others too.