PDA

View Full Version : Belt vs No Belt

Brody Laybolt
06-08-2013, 02:55 AM
Hey guys,

I'm currently having mike do my programming, prior to this I was the kind of guy that'd throw my belt on around the 4-5 plate range as I worked up to my top sets. Anyway lately he's got me doing all my work beltless, it's been two weeks and I actually like it, I get a lot more sore in a good way. I'm starting to question how much carryover a guy actually gets from a belt now. I was wondering if you guys could let me know how much it adds for you personally and if training heavy without a belt helped your total when you threw it back on.

A good comparison for myself on the deadlifts: the week before I started with mike I pulled a 5rm 585x5 w/belt since started with mike I pulled 575x4 and 585x3 beltless @9RPE, if I was to max out with both I don't think the differential is nearly what I thought it was. As for the squat I honestly don't know if I've been improving or the belt just doesn't add much to the total.. I guess I won't know until I throw the belt back on.. Just wondering what your guys' take is on the subject.

0ni
06-10-2013, 03:16 AM
The past three weeks I stopped wearing a belt for deadlifts. More recently I've ditched it for everything and my training consists of lots of front and regular squatting.
In these three weeks I've since surpassed my belted lifts. It seemed a bit shaky and off at first and certainly felt weaker but after getting used to it I've found that I am just as strong without it as with it. *shrug*

I'm not really sure what to make of it, but I am going to do periods of belted and unbelted work and see what happens. I know how to use a belt effectively too but I've found I can generally get this same pressure without the belt now that I have learned how to do it with the belt. I am a Class II lifter (class I by wilks I guess) if that gives you a decent idea of my experience level. Safe to say I'm pretty confused as it flies in the face of what most people say

Wilmer
06-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Well I train beltless for about 2 months now ...I pull 430x3 no belt, 405x5@10 no belt and then meet day end up getting 470.
I squat beltlles and did 350x1 then meet day I squatted 390 pretty easy with belt and light wraps.

I think it strengthens the core a bunch if you ask me. it took from pulling 405 to 470 in 5 weeks of training beltless for everything.