• The Personalized Prilepin's Chart - By Roy Andrew

Download full text here

Whatís this about?
      This is an article that will help you develop a personalized guideline training chart like the famous Prilepinís table. Itís for folks who sometimes screw up counting your fatigue percentages. If you are consistent and accurate in that, this probably wonít help you much. Me, I get a bit hyped up when I hit a good ďInitialĒ set or if my technical mastery is feeling really good and over-do it sometimes. If you sometimes regret the extra volume of yesterdayís session, then maybe this will help you.

What do you consider to be a great training session? Is it a PR day or the session before the PR day? Iíd argue itís the session before. On the day you hit the PR, you had the strength when you walked into the gym. All the PR session did was allow you the opportunity to display it. You built that strength in a prior session(s). I am always interested in finding number based answers that sometimes allow me to create PR days. I also want to manage myself such that in the midst of PR day, I still manage the work and stress on that day to build more strength Ė not just temporarily display PR strength. You know, build momentum and keep the progress rolling forward! This article will give you a real time tool to refer to while youíre still in the midst training each lift before you get home and kick yourself ďI should have done 1 more/less setĒ.

Iím sure thereís more to long term recovery and adaptation processes than just what occurs from session to session, but Iím not sure about how to rate longer periods of training data. If you rely on training plans that utilize delayed adaptations, this article probably wonít help you either.

The idea for this analysis came together thinking of three different things. First, is the well known Prilepinís table. In case youíre not familiar with it, hereís a link. Most of us who have bought into RTS would probably agree no table should be that universal to all lifters at each stage of their career, etc. Nevertheless, the simplicity has an appeal. Second, Iíd had a near perfect squat cycle for a meet last spring and I badly wanted a diagnosis of what I did right and have spent a lot of time staring at that data. Third is a quote from the Dr. Mike Zourdosí presentation at the Australia seminar where he said ďadaptations are related to training volume not muscle damageĒ. If you havenít seen this video, I highly recommend it. So, itís this idea that training is cumulative and not just related to a single session.

It was a coincidence that some forum discussions and direct discussions with Mike Tuchscherer at the Brooklyn seminar pushed me into a higher volume direction last spring. It was also a coincidence that I always hit a volume in each session of that cycle that did not retard my volume in the subsequent training session. In my limited understanding of Dr. Zourdosí quote that would mean each session was in a near optimal range as it was as much volume as I could do that day without negatively impacting the next session and allowed me to maximize my cumulative volume. Basically, I never blew my momentum by overdoing it and I wanted a table of guidelines to try and repeat that success.

Methodology
      This is how I set up the analysis. First, get some of your data together, either your logs or spreadsheets. You will definitely need the 1RM percentages you trained at, the rep range you were training and the total reps from the session. Select a period of training, such as your last 6 months or a recent meet prep cycle. I picked my spring meet cycle (but am already working on broadening it). Hereís a slice of the data I studied. ... more
      Comments 5 Comments
        ChadHydro -
        Awesome article, Roy!
        sparkskk -
        Good stuff Roy, some good for thought there.
        sumoman -
        Your article is interesting, I figured it would get more of a response.

I guess your article comes down to you were hitting the following totals reps @9 effort for sets of 5, 4, 3 and 2 reps with 5% fatigue in squats of the following;

◊5@9 23 32
        ◊4@9 19 24
        ◊3@9 16 22
        ◊2@9 12 16

So for example if you squatted 100kg ◊ 2reps you would take 6 to 8 sets to get to 95kg ◊ 2reps.

I wonder how others compare, it seems to take me only a third to half the reps shown... perhaps I am not trying hard enough.
        Nate -
        Unless I'm looking at something wrong, I see at least two Zourdos videos available from Australia. Which one are you referring to?
        randrew804 -
        The DUP video came out before the daily max video. Get them both but the dup video is where he talks about the importance of volume.