RTS Custom Cycle

Thank you. Come again!

Rate this Entry
Week 6 Day 2
Intensity 2/4
DL w/ belt + secondary bench assist x4 @9, 0%
squat supplement x6+ @9, 0%

TRAC scores were high again today, but only advised no fatigue, which was better than the no anaerobic work result from yesterday.

Anyway, after another busy Friday I get home and the next thing I know it's 9pm; I still haven't trained. After a lot of umming and ahhing, asking other people to decide for me, and flipping a coin -- I decided not to go.

I sit down to study and think: "No. I'm going."

So I change and head to the gym. Arrived some time after 10 and it's empty, which I'm enjoying more and more these days. (Can't wait to have my own gym.)

I figured, I'll let my warmup dictate what's going on the bar for my one and only work set. No fatigue, and I don't want to work up either, cause I figure that's still fatigue (extra work), right.

This was the last good training day I had, 8 days ago. So my curiosity was well and truly piqued to see if my no sleep theory was correct: can a really poor recovery component of the training effect result in 'detraining'?

DL w/ belt: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...91869768115524
2bd bench: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...97241005569524
2ct pause SSB: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...46392383916251

Not this time

I was really happy with tonight, and for more than one reason.

Just for willing myself to go is a good sign in itself because I've been feeling like shit all week, and had every reason to blow this session off.
Hitting 215 x4 with such ease was really surprising because my warm up indicated the opposite. My last warm up single was 200 with the belt, and I thought, "Shit! This ain't happening."
And tonight, for the first time in a very long time -- this is both good and bad -- I 'psyched' myself up for the lift. Anyone that knows me would say I'm a very calm lifter. I couldn't even say controlled-aggressive. Just controlled, almost apathetic. I used to take a book to the gym with me to read between sets. When I say 'psyched' I don't mean any of that "chest thumping", screaming and carrying on like some people do. I just did what I used to do before a fight, and told myself it had to be done. It's difficult to describe, but a switch goes on and I'm no longer Mark -- I'm completely detached. I haven't even done this for my last couple test days, in fact I haven't done this since returning to training nearly a year ago, and seldom did it in training before getting injured. It's not something I enjoy doing because it is far too stimulating and used to leave me mentally and emotionally drained for days after a fight. Anyway, it's good because it provided insight into how much it can help when it counts (on the platform), but it's bad because I don't think that kind of arousal is good for training at all -- especially this week when I'm clearly fatigued and need more recovery than stimulus at this point in time.

Training app log:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w6d2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	200

I have to be honest, by looking at the DL vid, and remembering how it felt whilst performing the set, I don't think my form was nearly as good as it has been lately (bar wasn't scraping my legs the whole way), but they were 'easy', smooth, and the technical faults weren't too bad.

Stay safe!

Updated 07-12-2013 at 02:01 PM by Mark Jamsek (vid embedding not working?)

Categories
RTS Frequency

Comments

Same song airing here in Italy...solid deadlifts!
    Good work. I think I get exactly what you mean by "psyching". I certainly agree: it's a useful tool, but like any tool, can be overused.
    Which, song was that Millul? And thanks, man!

Thanks, Bob. I really didn't want to train that night. I think you and I share opinions on this, and I'm sure you know what I mean. From the few vids I've seen of you training, I think we might approach the bar with similar apathy, for lack of a better term.