Mike Tuchscherer

Bench press irritates me

Rate this Entry
6/25/2015
Bench
e1RM: 448
Not what I wanted here. Kind of disappointing really. The volume work was really solid, but the single was worse. I think the frequency is killing me.
Weight Reps RPE
425 x 1 @ 8
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 5.5
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6.5
375 x 2 @ 6
375 x 2 @ 6
2ct Pause Bench
e1RM: 422
Again… bah. Disappointing.
Weight Reps RPE
400 x 1 @ 8
385 x 2 @ 9.5
365 x 3 @ 8.5
365 x 3 @ 9
3Board Press (tfs)
e1RM: 404
Getting quite tired by this point.
Weight Reps RPE
300 x 9 @ 5
325 x 9 @ 7
345 x 6 @ 9
315 x 9 @ 9
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

It irritates me too sometimes, Mike...
    Bench can be a massive pain. Sometimes it goes exceptionally well when paired with a higher frequency approach but other times I can go the complete opposite direction. Way to get it done though Mike. I've noticed (mainly from your Worlds Prep) you have been doing 2 exercises a day (mostly) rather than the usual 3 slots seen here. Is there a reason for that? Are you just increasing the fatigue accumulated from less exercises to hit the same amount fatigue as you normally would? Or is it a recovery thing? I like the idea of less exercises per day as sometimes (due to time constraints) I have to cut W/O's short and more often than I would like. Be good to hear your thoughts.
    It's entirely due to time constraints to be honest. I should start earlier or not talk so much.
    Time constraints have always been a bit of a problem for me. Its not too often I miss the last exercise but I have noticed when I get a good couple of weeks solid hitting my desired fatigue level that I make better progress. I guess I'm spending too much time doing things that probably dont need that time haha.
    Mike, I have a question about your squat set up. I know you have worked with the guys at Darkside Strength, who preach maintaining 3 points of contact with the foot (as seen here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjH5ZLP8p1A).
    My question is this: When setting up, do you make a point to first lift the toes then spread them, as Dr. Quinn demonstrates in the video? If so, at what point in your set up are you doing this? Thanks.
    How long was this workout if you recal, and how long are your workouts generally?
    They're generally 2.5hrs.

Ed, sorry for the late reply... I don't think about it much tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tuchscherer
    They're generally 2.5hrs.

Ed, sorry for the late reply... I don't think about it much tbh.
    No worries, thanks for the answer.
    Your article is great and rewarding. I like it very much. Hope to read more posts from you.
    Lenny face