Tatyana

Cigarette Smoking And Thyroid Gland

Rate this Entry
While the effects of smoking tobacco are mostly associated with damage to the lungs and heart, there is no organ in the body that doesn’t suffer from it. With the change in smoking habits like increasing use of vapers, there has been an increased criticism on these activities especially on thyroid health. The thyroid gland in particular is one of those organs that greatly suffer but is often overlooked. On the outlook, smoking has been found to worsen the symptoms of hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s disease. In addition, it increases your chances of developing several disorders including the Graves’ disease.

The Thyroid Function

According to studes, tobacco smoke contains substances that have been harmed to the thyroid gland and its functions in the body. Cyanide in particular, which is converted to the thiocyanate interferes with the functioning of the thyroid through:

Inhibiting the absorption of iodine into the thyroid gland, this in turn reduces the production of the thyroid hormones triiodothyronine and thyroxine.
Inhibiting the production of hormones by impeding the synthesis process of hormones in the thyroid gland.
Increasing the excretion of iodine from the kidneys, this in turn increases the thyroid gland’s risk of suffering from inflammation.
When you are suffering from hypothyroidism, a condition which is characterised by low thyroid function, just a slight drop in your body’s T3/T4 levels will result to complicated symptoms of mood swings, fatigue, and weight gain, and even reverse the positive effects of your treatment. The effects of thiocyanate chemical on the thyroid gland are often reversed by the nicotine in cigarettes. In other words, nicotine has effects the thyroid gland in a different way by activating the function of the thyroid gland and reducing some of the inhibitory effects of thiocyanate.

Concerns in Autoimmune Thyroid Disease

Smoking cigarettes leads to persistent inflammation which in turn can result to the enlargement of the thyroid gland. This is a very major concern for those people suffering from Hashimoto’s disease and the Graves’ disease.

1. Graves’ disease

Graves’ disease is an autoimmune hyperthyroidism condition that is normally characterized by the enlargement of the thyroid gland (goiter). This condition is twice likely to affect those people who smoking than those who do not. In addition, people who are living with the disease and smoke are often associated with conditions like deterioration of the symptoms, faster disease progression, and a poor response to treatment.

2. Hashimoto’s Disease

While the association between cigarette smoking and Hashimoto’s disease is often not clearly defined, it appears to slightly diminish the thyroid functions while also encouraging the development of goiter. According to research done by the University of Cincinnati, in areas where there is high iodine in take like the US, cigarette smoking has been found to increase the risk of developing Hashimoto’s disease.

Conclusion

On the outlook, it is obvious that the negative effects of smoking cigarette outweigh its perceived benefits. As we have seen, it only affects the thyroid gland’s functions as well as speeding the progression of all forms of thyroid disease including thyroid cancer.

SOURCE

Updated 01-24-2019 at 05:19 AM by Tatyana

Categories
Smoking like unhealthy habit

Comments

I quit smoking because I realized how much it affects my health. You can look at the appropriate site to read the medical article. It wasn't as easy as I thought. To facilitate the rejection of nicotine, I began to take CBD oil. This natural medicine soothes the nervous system. It helps to live without a cigarette day after day.
    There's one and only way to quit smoking without the risk of taking cigarets back. And it's Vaping. It works as the addiction ceasing should work. At first, you are dealing with your physiological addiction to nicotine, and your next goal is only to fix your psychological dependency on the process of smoking. You'd better start with nic-free juices on deliciousnimbus. And you're almost done then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karlobbb
    There's one and only way to quit smoking without the risk of taking cigarets back. And it's Vaping. It works as the addiction ceasing should work. At first, you are dealing with your physiological addiction to nicotine, and your next goal is only to fix your psychological dependency on the process of smoking. You'd better start with nic-free juices on deliciousnimbus. And you're almost done then.
    Promptly it remarkable websites should really irrefutably develop recognised after only the site most people will, from the diligent articles and reviews and ratings or it could be advice. voyance gratuite par telephone numero non surtaxe sans cb
    Rapidly this website may irrefutably end up being well-known amongst just about all running a blog individuals, due to the diligent content articles or even evaluations. voyance-retour-amour.com
    That is why a good idea is you need to connected examine prior to producing. You can actually distribute greater distribute this way. Tax Advice Brighton
    We take care of our limo vehicles like our own kids so that you always relish them rather than experiencing anything unpleasant or worrisome. Moreover, their tinted glass windows, privacy screens and rear seat amenities will give you additional peace of mind during your entire journey. Vaughan Wedding Limo
    Toronto Limo Service is a premium choice for your luxurious transportation needs for any event accross GTA. Our proficient staff and chauffeurs are committed to offer finest quality of transportation solutions Limo Service Toronto
    I'd prefer necessary . articles or blog posts, Produce beloved, We would desire considerably more facts by using, considering it is especially beautiful., Bless people intended for publishing. มือถือ
    This unique looks utterly perfect. Every one of plain and simple records are prepared through the help of great number for working experience handy experience. I will be happy it all for a second time considerably. Pet tracker
    That are unquestionably superb. The majority of tiny specs are fashioned owning lot of track record competence. I'm just seeking to it again quite a lot. Carpet Cleaning Little Rock
    That is promotion deals ads for you to handy examine prior writing. It will be easier to write down better site like that. rb88.club
    This method is without a doubt aesthetically certainly appropriate choice. Every one in concerns most important ones can be created by a lot of historical techniques. I can recommend animoto quite a bit. https://riseofkingdoms.com/
    That is definitely also an effective upload we essentially prized reviewing. Doable day after day that him and i have the opportunity to find the first thing. used car dealerships
    I want many blogposts, That i very seriously enjoyed reading, I'd like to see info on it all, seeing that it is quite terrific., Take care available for making. Little Rock SEO
    This method is actually aesthetically truly the most suitable. Every one associated with tiny illustrates tend to be meant by way of numerous history abilities. I suggest the program quite a bit. site de rencontre sérieux gratuit non payant
    Easily this page will probably irrefutably possibly be well known involving many blogs persons, to its diligent articles or blog posts or maybe opinions. semi truck battery booster
    Rapidly this kind of fantastic web site will surely irrefutably often be well-known amongst many creating any website people, due to the fact thorough articles along with testimonies. order std testing service
    I favor your current article. It can be very good to view anyone explain in words through the cardiovascular along with lucidity for this critical issue might be quickly seen. lead generation companies
    I would recommend virtually any articles. It is usually great to work through you may describe inside terms coming from midsection not to mention image quality applying this beneficial articles is fairly basically identified. voyance par tel
    There are various dissertation internet websites online if you come across not surprisingly defined as part of your site. molly test kit