chenyan94

There were a lot of orange-clad Denver fans

Rate this Entry
GLENDALE Justin Simmons Jersey , Ariz. (AP) — in the stands in Arizona.They must have loved watching the Broncos beat down the host Cardinals 45-10 Thursday night.“That was unbelievable,” Denver quarterback Case Keenum said afterward. “It felt like a home game there for a lot of it. That was impressive. That was really cool.”After four straight losses, the Broncos (3-4) took control early, returning two interceptions of Josh Rosen’s passes for first-quarter touchdowns. Denver led 21-3 after one quarter and 35-3 at the half, giving a rare breather of a win to embattled coach Vance Joseph.“That’s more about our football team. I’m not concerned about me,” Joseph said. “It’s a good win for our football team. It has been a tough, tough two weeks. We had a tough loss on Sunday. We had a short week, so it’s really good for our team to win a game.”The Cardinals (1-6) have lost their first four home games for the first time since 1979, nearly a decade before the franchise moved from St. Louis to the desert.“Definitely an embarrassing effort tonight,” first-year coach Steve Wilks said. “Our fans deserve more than that. We have to perform better than that. Six sacks, three interceptions. It can go on and on. Unacceptable.”Arizona offensive coordinator Mike McCoy had been considered on shaky ground but there’s no indication that any move is imminent.“You guys are going to ask me about changes,” Wilks said. “That’s premature to talk about any changes right now. Everyone is going to be evaluated across the board.”Here are some things to consider from the Broncos’ romp in the desert:MILLER’S PROMISEDenver’s Von Miller had promised the Broncos would kick the Cardinals’ backside and they certainly did.Miller said he did it to boost the confidence of his teammates.“And it worked,” he said.Defensive end Zach Kerr agreed.“It puts an extra fire in us,” he said. “You can feel it all week during the preparation. Everyone was zoned in, locked in. It’s a short week, but nobody complained. Nobody said anything, but we just went out there and worked.”HARRIS’ FLIPEmmanuel Sanders had a big night, throwing a 28-yard touchdown pass and catching a 64-yarder for a score.On the TD catch, he did a front flip over the goal line. He had said he was going to quit with the flips, but couldn’t resist.“That’s what it’s about, man, having fun and playing football,” Sanders said. “That’s how you win games. To catch that pass, I didn’t have to do anything but run straight. It was probably one of the easiest touchdown passes I’ve caught in terms of a deep ball.”ROSEN’S NIGHTArizona rookie quarterback Josh Rosen had a tough night.He threw three interceptions and fumbled the ball away twice. He also was sacked six times.Rosen said he tried to force things and it backfired.“This is kind of an old saying I got in college. ‘Don’t turn a car crash into a fatality Adam Gotsis Jersey ,'” Rosen said. “So I think sometimes you just have to make the smart play. I can’t just kind of toss it up there. … I just have to take care of the ball. For the most part, I think that was the biggest lesson I can take from the game.”FITZGERALD’S SCOREIt took seven games, but Larry Fitzgerald finally caught his first touchdown pass of the season.The four-yard pass from Rosen in the third quarter was Arizona’s lone touchdown.It was Fitzgerald’s 111th career touchdown catch, tying him with Tony Gonzalez for seventh on the all-time list.BIG RETURNSThe Broncos had two big early interception returns.On the second play of the game, Derek Wolfe deflected Rosen’s pass and Todd Davis gathered it in, returning it 20 yards for the score.With two minutes left in the quarter, miscommunication between Rosen and receiver J.J. Nelson led to the ball being thrown right to Denver’s Chris Harris Jr., who took it 53 yards for a touchdown.“Yeah, we’re having a good time out there,” Davis said. “When everything is clicking like that, it really becomes fun and you really enjoy the game of football.” His Speed Score and Quix Score combine to make Fant one of the best athletes as tight end to come out of college this century." Denver Broncos 2019 DraftNoah Fant has a great combination of straight-line speed and quicknessNew,68commentsHis Speed Score and Quix Score combine to make Fant one of the best athletes as tight end to come out of college this century.MDTShare this storyShare this on FacebookShare this on TwitterShareAll sharing optionsShareAll sharing options for:Noah Fant has a great combination of straight-line speed and quicknessTwitterFacebookRedditPocketFlipboardEmail Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesThe NFL combine CAN BE useful to differentiate between players who are elite athletes (even when compared to other elite athletes) and players who are good athletes with elite football skills. This article will not try to speak to Noah Fant’s football skills, but it will show you that he is one of the best athletes at tight end to come out of college this century. About 20 years ago one of my fellow draft/combine nerds came up with Speed Score, which basically grades a player on how fast they are for their mass. The underlying assumption is that smaller players SHOULD be fast. Big players who are also fast (using 40 yard dash as measure of fast) get huge speed scores. A value above 120 is elite. A value of 100 is “average” and a value over 130 is other-wordly. Calvin Johnson was 233 pounds at the NFL combine and ran a 4.33 40. That worked out to a speed score of 132.6. Here are the top 20 speed scores from the 2019 combine. You’ll notice that three of the players in the top 20 went undrafted. You should also notice that both Fant and Justin Hollins show up on this list. The Broncos got two guys with elite straight-line speed, but I’ve never really liked using 40 yard dash (in underwear) times to evaluate players since 40 times rarely correlate to NFL success. I think that there is more value in looking at the quickness (and change of direction ability) of players as measured by the three-cone drill and the 20-yard short shuttle. A few years ago I came up with a way to get a quickness score similar to the Speed Score. Here are the top 20 players from the 2019 combine in terms of Quix Score.I should mention that players who did not participate in one of the two drills used for Quix Score, obviously were not given a quickness score, and I did not want to use Pro Day values. A score of 120 is elite. You should note that every player in the top 20 was drafted. You should also note that Noah Fant is on this list as well. So he is not only fast, but also quick. How does his combination of speed and quickness compare to other tight ends this century? Let’s take a look. Fant has the sixth-best Speed Score for a tight end at the combine this century. Our old friend, Virgil Green, is on this list as well. Fant has the eighth best Quix Score for a tight end this century. If you average the Quix and the Speed Score, you get a new value I am calling QuiSp. Noah Fant has the eighth best QuiSp for a tight end this century. Fant’s combination of size, speed and quickness is elite for a tight end. The comparisons to Jared Cook and George Kittle make sense given that both players are also in the top 10 in QuiSp for TEs at the combine this century.If you look at the 10 most productive NFL TEs to be drafted this century, you’ll find that most of them did not show on that list of the top 20 Speed Score and Quix Scores for TEs this century. So I guess the comparison to Jared Cook is good since he is one of the TEs who performed both well at the combine and well once he got into the NFL.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments