Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTS Updates Thread

RTS Updates Thread

We're launching a couple new features this weekend: first, we have a new version of TRAC which is available to all current TRAC users - if you're using (or eligible to use) the old version of TRAC, you can use the new version of TRAC.

I'd like to migrate users over in a somewhat orderly fashion at first. We've run quite a bit of testing, and been in beta for a couple weeks, and hopefully all the bugs are worked out. However, we do know that we have some features to add, and we'll be working on that.

We talked about the new version of TRAC at the seminar, and we're pretty excited about some of the opportunities this opens up for us in the future.

If you want to move to the new version of TRAC, please contact me via email, bob(at)wanamaker.org . Sooner or later, you will have to move to the new version of TRAC; we will have a firm schedule for this determined by Monday - but it should be no later than 12/1/2013.

Some caveats:

1) You will get different results from the new version of TRAC. This is by design. Mike has put in a LOT of research since the last version of TRAC, and has greatly improved the way the new version calculates stress and recovery.

2) I can migrate some of your old data, but its value is somewhat limited, precisely because there's all new principles and calculations behind the scenes. If you're interested in this, let me know, and we can discuss.

The new version of TRAC is part of a platform migration, and an entirely new website.

You can view the new website at http://www2.reactivetrainingsystems.com for now.

If you have a few minutes, please take a look at it, and let us know what you think. I think you'll agree that if nothing else, it's a major change to the overall look of the website. It's also designed to be very phone friendly.

Later this week, the new website will be "live" and will replace the old main website. I have a couple minor changes to make before then (like adding a link to the old TRAC system).

If you have any questions or comments, please let us know.

I just wanted to add for the sake of everyone migrating to the new TRAC System:

1) The tap test and Reaction Time test have gone away. In light of the way we're assessing the tests now, Tap and RT don't make a big impact on your training recommendation. So we dropped them to save you some time.

2) You're going to be happy with the results you get from TRAC 3.0. This is also going to drive a few programming changes to the Team RTS folks, but one step at a time. First, an orderly transfer to the new system. Then, we'll start some programming testing with a few people. Then we'll start rolling out more programming changes to all Team RTS lifters.

I have to say, the new site looks fantastic and I'm pretty excited about the change.

Also glad to not have to do the RT and tap tests at 5AM in the morning.

I've been using the new version and I personally like it much better than the old one.

Thanks for the kind words! Greatly appreciated.

As of tonight, if you've submitted a request to be on the new version of TRAC, you should have received an email from me with user credentials. If you have not - that means I've lost the plot, and you need to help me out by sending me another note.

Quote Originally Posted by FrmrHoss View Post
    I have to say, the new site looks fantastic and I'm pretty excited about the change.
    Except for that ugly dawg on the front, Bob.

Some News

We're making some headway. Quite a few athletes are now using TRAC 3.0, and if there have been any major problems / crashes / etc, I haven't heard about them.

We are getting some requests for more features. The most frequently requested items have been:

• Improved page layout, especially on the results page
    • Documentation and help
    • Access to older data / additional reporting

We just completed an update which made some changes to layout. It might not look like much, but it's a start, and takes our work with the available charting tools up a notch. We have a lot more planned in this arena, and this lays the foundation.

Attached are some quick notes we've put together as an interim help document; we're in the process of writing a full online help system and recording user guide videos.

If you have any suggestions, don't be shy. Feel free to email me, or post in this thread, or get in touch with Mike. Just don't keep your ideas to yourself, nobody wins that way.

Thanks!

BobW
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob, the new site looks very well. When do you expect the Training Log application to be up and running or what are the plans for it?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkskk View Post
    Hi Bob, the new site looks very well. When do you expect the Training Log application to be up and running or what are the plans for it?
    Thanks.

Training Log: that's the first major project of 2014. Mike & I have not finalized the feature list or put together a timeline, but we're both anxious to get moving on it. I know that's pretty vague - but I'm a "planner" or as some of my clients call me, a "rock turner". Until I'm satisfied that the planning process has been completed, I don't put my seal of approval on a project.

Here's the thing: it would be relatively easy to throw something together that looks fancy. But once you put something together, you are sort of wed to it. It's better to get it right the first time, to make sure that it meets all the potential needs of the business and users, then it is to throw something together blindly.

Mike and I are actively working on one aspect of the project now that involves automated data gathering. Another aspect of the project was already addressed by moving to the new server architecture: the old server architecture just didn't give us the ability to analyze data, or grow, or tier, the way everybody needed. So while I know this initial move of TRAC and the website doesn't seem like that big a deal, it was really laying the foundation for all our work.

Example: on the home page, I'm pulling a blog feed from the vBulletin blogs. This was more a proof of concept, because everybody told me it couldn't be done. I knew it could be, and it took me 30 minutes to do with the new platform. Is it perfect? No - there's some formatting cleanup to be done. But 30 minutes? That proves that we have the ability to move data the way we need to move it, easily. It opens the door for a lot more integration. We couldn't begin to do this on the old system in days, let alone in 30 minutes.

I think after Mike and I finalize some plans, I'm going to suggest a couple of webinars with RTS athletes and ask for feedback. I'd anticipate this occurring early in Q1.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comprehensive answer Bob. I agree, it's best to try and get things right before releasing it.

In the mean time, is the old training log gone as part of moving to the new server architecture?