Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Footwear when deadlifting

Blog Entries
    Since I train at home, I usually deadlift conventional in socks, and (on occasion) sumo barefoot (floor surface feels a little slippery if I keep my socks). I'll wear chuck's in my rare gym sessions and that's what I'll wear for my first meet (their being black might give me an extra 5 lbs ). Thus far, I haven't seen any difference in strength between shoes and no shoes.

Anything flat that has good grip. Wrestling shoes, addidas old school tennis shoes (ala Ed Coan), slippers, etc. Sometimes if my pull is stalling or I'm far out from a meet, I'll just pull in sneakers or tennis shoes, then when I switch back to slippers or wrestling shoes it feels a ton stronger. Similar to doing beltless work and then putting on a belt. To each his own though, the most important thing, especially for sumo, is making sure you got a good grip on the floor otherwise you're in trouble.

I pull in hiking boots, with heavy duty orthotic inserts. I've had a lot of people tell me I can't pull that way. I dunno. A lot of those people end up pulling less than me in comps.

When I got back into training in 2005, I pulled barefoot for quite a while. Then I started having a lot of issues with the feet / ankles, and it was just more comfortable to be in my boots. I'm at the point now where I could pull barefoot again in terms of pain and structural issues. When I try to do that, I feel very off balance and wobbly. I guess I'm used to the heel, and the thickness of the soles, and the ankle/foot support.

I think there's a lot of "it depends" tied up with the answer to this question, and I'd say the most important variable is heel height. I'd also say that every lifter should experiment, and find out what works best. You might be surprised.

Of course, don't start experimenting 2 weeks out from your meet. Off-season would the time to play around a bit.

Interesting session yesterday with lots of learning to take forward, but I had some success between the mess. Pulling in the Oly shoes certainly felt better, so I think I will stick with them for a while.
    Last edited by DrChrisGibbons; 03-07-2014 at 07:18 AM. Reason: more positive mental attitude!

An old training partner of mine just had bad deadlift form. We worked pretty hard to make it right, but it just didn't look great. The we cycled some small deficit deadlifting off a 100# plate. All of a sudden it looked great. So, I told him to wear his work boots while deadlifting and while it wasn't as good as the plate pull, it was better than the floor pull.

diagnosed with RA

I have diabetes, wide feet, and fallen arches. This dilemma has put me on a lifelong quest for a truly comfortable shoe. My quest has ended at last! Orthofeet shoes are remarkable! After a full day on my feet, it's like I haven't even had shoes on! My feet have never been happier! These Orthofeet shoes are engineered with innovative features that help millions enhance comfort and improve mobility.

What are the best shoes for Deadlifting?

here are some ideas and options yo can choose
    check out the the link i posted below hope it helps

The Adidas Powerlift 3s are our top pick for the best lifting shoes for squats.
    Adidas Powerlift 3.
    Adidas AdiPower.
    Nike Romaleos 3.
    Inov-8 FastLift 325.
    Position USA Weightlifting Shoes.
    Reebok Legacy Lifter.
    Do-Win Weightlifting Shoes.
    Adidas Powerlift 3.
    More items...
    2Best Reviewed Lifting Shoes 2017 - BarBend
    https://barbend.com/best-weightlifting-shoes/

I prefer to deadlift in converse but I know a lot of people prefer to use slippers or go barefoot

My girl has been having problems with her feet for years, going to foot doctors has been rather unhelpful and always comes to the conclusion that surgery is her only help for relief. However I bought her a pair for work and the flip flops for everyday wear and the amount that it has helped has been phenomenal. I asked her to describe how they feel, she said not like walking on clouds, more like walking on sand because of how well they mold to her feet. She can be on her feet for the whole day with little to no heel/arch pain at all. Best investment I've made in long time. Thanks to orthofeet.

I have heel pain and need arch support for my tired feet. I first wore them around the house for an hour or two at a time, as suggested. This past weekend I ventured out to work my daughters Girl Scout cookie booths. I was on my feet 2 hours straight and my feet felt great. orthofeet shoe really helps me do my job and cuts down on the pain I have once I am off my feet.