Thread: Frequency and calluses

Frequency and calluses

Random unfounded thought of the day

I wonder if people who deadlift frequently tear fewer calluses. Less time for skin to build up and a greater adaptive stressor from holding a bar frequently. Thoughts?

I was just filing down my callouses using one of my wife's emery boards actually....

I think it is very dependent first of all on the quality and brand of bar you train with. My gym very kindly bought in a texas deadlift bar and a texas power bar for me to train with (everyone else at the place is a bodybuilder, so it too some time to wear the owner down ) and the sharper knurl on the bar does a pretty good job of exfoliating my hands. I got far worse callous build up with the cheaper bars I was using before because a) they were bent so tended to roll in the hands a bit, and b) the softer knurling meant they slipped in the hand more.

I also suffer a lot with dry skin during the winter months. Good moisturizing cream, finding a brand of soap that doesn't make things worse, and keeping on top of thick callouses (mine tend to crack) are all really important for me.

Donny Shankle did an excellent video about hand care‎ for those interested.

I've been getting considerably less callus build up since I started gripping the bar differently after seeing a video by Mark Rippetoe. Helps a lot actually.

I have several foot issues (bunions, hammertoe, pronation, and neuroma) and it is hard to find a shoe that I can walk in all day. Well, finally I did! I have Orthofeet's grey and red pair and they look and feel terrific and have great arch support. Will definitely look in to purchasing another pair.