Thread: Customized RPE Chart

Customized RPE Chart

RTS_custom_RPE_chart_v1 6-14-14.xlsx

Just got done going through the article about customizing your own RPE chart. I didn't do a test week like the article said but I was previously doing 5/3/1 so I actually had pretty accurate data from the various reps needed to fill in the chart so I believe that the chart is still fairly accurate (currently of course). My percentages don't drop off as much as normal and I think that was due to how I got really good at grinding out and pushing myself for the top sets during 5/3/1 and got good at doing high reps with high intensity so my percentages are a little "skewed" from what would be the norm and probably from what other people would get if they make their own RPE charts. Keep in mind though, that if you make your own RPE chart and have been tracking your progress by using Normalized Tonnage and Average Intensity, etc, which use the RPE chart in the book (which is very general) to get the data, and switch to your own custom RPE chart, the previous data that you have collected will essentially be useless (or at least in my case) because the percentages that you get will be vastly different and therefore the data you collect will be different.

But in the end, making your own RPE is way more accurate. The chart will probably have to be adjusted every few months or so that it is still accurate. The only way I can see that being achieved is by doing the "test week" again that is talked about in the article but if done every few months or so, it will keep things more accurate. Also, it wouldn't make the previous data that you collected with the "old charts" obsolete either because those were you maxes at the current time.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what have you gotten and how has it worked for you?

If interested in wanting to try it, here is the original link to the article on how to make your own customized RPE chart:

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems...rt-PDF-Version

NOTE: I attached my excel sheet and what my percentages and the format I used to everyone can see what I'm talking about and to give a general layout if somebody else wants to try it.

Good work!
    This actually looks a lot closer to the updated RPE charts than the original. All that means is that you aren't as different as you might think (good). You should really only have to update these maybe once or twice a year. And they won't change dramatically.

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by DaneR View Post
    RTS_custom_RPE_chart_v1 6-14-14.xlsx

Just got done going through the article about customizing your own RPE chart. I didn't do a test week like the article said but I was previously doing 5/3/1 so I actually had pretty accurate data from the various reps needed to fill in the chart so I believe that the chart is still fairly accurate (currently of course). My percentages don't drop off as much as normal and I think that was due to how I got really good at grinding out and pushing myself for the top sets during 5/3/1 and got good at doing high reps with high intensity so my percentages are a little "skewed" from what would be the norm and probably from what other people would get if they make their own RPE charts. Keep in mind though, that if you make your own RPE chart and have been tracking your progress by using Normalized Tonnage and Average Intensity, etc, which use the RPE chart in the book (which is very general) to get the data, and switch to your own custom RPE chart, the previous data that you have collected will essentially be useless (or at least in my case) because the percentages that you get will be vastly different and therefore the data you collect will be different.

But in the end, making your own RPE is way more accurate. The chart will probably have to be adjusted every few months or so that it is still accurate. The only way I can see that being achieved is by doing the "test week" again that is talked about in the article but if done every few months or so, it will keep things more accurate. Also, it wouldn't make the previous data that you collected with the "old charts" obsolete either because those were you maxes at the current time.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, what have you gotten and how has it worked for you?

If interested in wanting to try it, here is the original link to the article on how to make your own customized RPE chart:

http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems...rt-PDF-Version

NOTE: I attached my excel sheet and what my percentages and the format I used to everyone can see what I'm talking about and to give a general layout if somebody else wants to try it.
    Cool stuff. I've yet to try mine yet but your general trend is in line with my hunch. Mainly that loaded paused work suffers the most from additional reps (hence the bench losing % as reps climb quicker than the other 2 movements) and that unloaded pause work benefits the most (explaining the deadlift, which is unloaded between reps, scaling the best with added reps).

Looking forward to my test week and seeing why my charts look like.