Thread: Reducing shoe heel height

Reducing shoe heel height

I've been thinking really hard to get my do wins to a cobbler and have them shaved. However, since my pair was shipped from half way across the globe, I'm a little hesitant.

Can anyone post pictures of their shoes after alteration?

And could you guys give any advice or tips on how yours were done/what did you tell the cobbler/what materials to use etc?

Thanks.

Check what fed you compete it. According to IPF rules it might be illegal to modify the bottom of the shoe at all so I would be careful.

"(c) The underside must be flat i.e. no projections, irregularities, or a doctoring from the standard
    design"

they do make 1/2" heel do-wins if 3/4 is too much.

I already got the 1/2 do win and I got the idea to reduce the heels from Mike.

I had a pair of Rogue Do-Wins that I had the wedge removed from. Be very detailed in explaining what you want. The guy who did mine tore the bottom-most portion trying to get at the wedge so he replaced them with some other flat sole that are not near as grippy and flat as the original sole. That and it cost me $50, I assumed it would be much less.

I removed some of the heel height from my "Lions weightlifting shoes" . They had a 1.5 inches heel, which is a really bad design. They are down to a 0.5 inch heel now. The heel is made of wood in those and I just removed the sole, grinded an inch of the heel away and glued the sole back on.
    Sucks that those shoes are of such bad quality that they are falling to pieces now less than one year after buying them anyway.

So I went to the cobbler and they definitely can remove part of the heel but they said the sole would not be flat anymore, making the shoe a bit funky. I am really confused what to tell the cobbler since I have no idea how this works LOL

I thought it was as simple as removing the heel part but the said that it would mess up the balance of the footing or some sort. WTF.

Anyone who have experience with this, please help a bro out.

Blog Entries
    I had the front part of the sole built up on a pair of Adidas weightlifting shoes years ago.

Regretted it and later pulled it off when i got more into weightlifting, but just have a 3/4 sole glued to the front would seem a much easier option then removing part of the heel.

Quote Originally Posted by xone View Post
    Check what fed you compete it. According to IPF rules it might be illegal to modify the bottom of the shoe at all so I would be careful.

"(c) The underside must be flat i.e. no projections, irregularities, or a doctoring from the standard
    design"

they do make 1/2" heel do-wins if 3/4 is too much.
    I don't think this applies to changing heel height. I had Bill Jamison, who IIRC is the longest serving intenational ref in the IPF, suggest I get a cobbler to add to the heels of my shoes.

You should be careful getting this done and be very specific with the cobbler. My former cobbler really fucked up and wouldn't fix it saying it was my "project" and therefore his shitty job is somehow my fault. There are two issues that I see. First, the shoe isn't really flat like someone else said. The toes will angle up slightly. This probably isn't a large issue. My metal squat shoes have a slightly toes-up design. I was skeptical at first but I think it's okay. The second issue is that you'll need to replace the outer sole of the shoes when you have them take the heel down because the surface of the shoe is slightly longer. This is what my guy fucked up. I even asked him before hand if he needed to replace the outer-sole and he said "no". Then I get the shoes back several weeks later and the sole are warped because this idiot stretched the original outer-sole back on the shoe. Now I have a perfectly good pair of do-wins that are totally fucked. Maybe I'll get a competent cobbler to fix them. Should have sent up red flags giving the guy my business when there's a sign hanging up behind the counter saying "the customer isn't always right".

Quote Originally Posted by GymRat View Post
    I had the front part of the sole built up on a pair of Adidas weightlifting shoes years ago.

Regretted it and later pulled it off when i got more into weightlifting, but just have a 3/4 sole glued to the front would seem a much easier option then removing part of the heel.
    Sounds like squatting in platform shoes