Thread: 4 Week Intensity Block for First Meet, Looking for Critique

4 Week Intensity Block for First Meet, Looking for Critique

Hey guys, new the forums, I have been running RTS for about 5 months, and would like some feedback on a block I wrote out for myself, this is my current Intensity Block:

Day 1: Comp Bench x 2 @ 9 (Drop)
    2-Count Pause Squat x 3 @ 9 (Drop)
    Military Press x 5 @ 8 (Repeat)
    Hammer Curl x 10 x 4 sets
    Tricep Extension x 10 x 4 sets

Day 2: Comp Squat x 2 @ 9 (Drop)
    2-Count Pause Bench x 3 @ 9 (Drop)
    Deficit Deadlift x 5 @ 8 (Repeat)
    Side Laterals x 10 x 4 sets
    Face Pulls x 10 x 4 sets

Day 3: GPP Day
    Vertical Pull x 8 x 4 sets
    Horizontal Pull x 6 x 4 sets
    Abs x 10 x 4 sets
    30 min LISS Cardio

Day 4: Touch and Go Bench x 2 @ 9 (Drop)
    Front Squat x 3 @ 9 (Drop)
    Close Grip Bench x 5 @ 8 (Repeat)
    Hammer Curls x 10 x 4 sets
    Tricep Extension x 10 x 4 sets

Day 5: Comp Deadlift x 2 @ 9 (Drop)
    Incline Bench x 3 @ 9 (Drop)
    Romanian Deadlift x 5 @ 8 (Repeat)
    Side Laterals x 10 x 4 sets
    Face Pulls x 10 x 4 sets

Day 6:GPP Day
    Vertical Pull x 8 x 4 sets
    Horizontal Pull x 6 x 4 sets
    Abs x 10 x 4 sets
    30 min LISS Cardio

Day 7: 30 min LISS Cardio

Week 1: 5% Fatigue (Reps are as shown)
    Week 2: 8% Fatigue (All reps increase by 1, example: Comp lifts are now triples)
    Week 3: 3% Fatigue (All reps decrease by 2, example: Comp lifts are now singles)
    Week 4: 5% Fatigue (Reps are as shown)

Volume Block is the same, all reps are increased +2

9th week is a deload week leading up to meet/mock meet

Im using this leading up to my meet, which I'm planning a 9 week training block for. Competing raw, currently maintaining weight at 190. Current numbers- Bench:225/Deadlift:455/Squat:345

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, Ive been making progress, however I love learning how to improve, thank you!

After staring at the setup for a while I see your patterns. Very clean setup. Nice. For a meet prep cycle, you might want to get more specific near the end. For example, your repeat 5s could be more squat bench and deads rather than military press or Romanian deads. And on days 4 and 5 you've got incline press and front squat for 3s. You could dump some of those lifts on your week 3 and maintain a higher stress on the competition lifts and the closest derivatives (close grips, pause, deficits) while still lowering your overall stress for the week. And finally in your week 9, you could again deload like I'm saying in the 3rd intensity week and just do competition lifts for 1 or 2 more sessions.
    good luck
    Roy

Look at the Generalized Intermediate program and read this article: http://www.jtsstrength.com/articles/...without-fluff/

Do the comp lifts earlier in the week, drop the bodybuilding exercises, and do less/zero cardio unless you are cutting weight. High intensity interval work is a lot better for conditioning. Riding a bike isn't bad, and going for a walk won't kill you, but you are already using your aerobic energy systems when you rest between sets - just like you would be between intervals. And it sounds like you are planning to do a volume block before your meet, I hope that's not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by randrew804 View Post
    After staring at the setup for a while I see your patterns. Very clean setup. Nice. For a meet prep cycle, you might want to get more specific near the end. For example, your repeat 5s could be more squat bench and deads rather than military press or Romanian deads. And on days 4 and 5 you've got incline press and front squat for 3s. You could dump some of those lifts on your week 3 and maintain a higher stress on the competition lifts and the closest derivatives (close grips, pause, deficits) while still lowering your overall stress for the week. And finally in your week 9, you could again deload like I'm saying in the 3rd intensity week and just do competition lifts for 1 or 2 more sessions.
    good luck
    Roy
    Sorry if i'm contradicting you Roy, I was typing at the same time as you. I just don't think that doing the only comp. squat of the week the day after pause squat is a good idea, and all the isolation work seems like a waste of time.

Think Chris and I mostly agree. We all have limited recovery and adaptability. I focused on your heavy assistance work and Chris pointed out all the bodybuilding and aerobic work. Right before the meet you want to focus all your recovery and adaptation on the meet lifts. Chris's comment on competition squat following a day of pause squats might be spot on, I haven't found them as stressful for me(and if you chuck the front squat x3@9 for back squat w/beltx3@9, then you've got another big squat slot). I think we generally agree that your whole schedule needs to be pared down to competition like lifts close to the meet.

Thanks for the advice guys, as far as possibly swapping my front squat for comp squat and rdl's for comp deadlift, how far out do you suggest? As far as which block will be right before the meet, I'm doing a volume block and then an intensity block leading into the meet. As far as having my squat day right after my pause squats, would you guys suggest doing comp bench and comp squat on the same day? Or will switching my front squat for regular add enough stress on my comp lifts to compensate?

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerguydw View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys, as far as possibly swapping my front squat for comp squat and rdl's for comp deadlift, how far out do you suggest? As far as which block will be right before the meet, I'm doing a volume block and then an intensity block leading into the meet. As far as having my squat day right after my pause squats, would you guys suggest doing comp bench and comp squat on the same day? Or will switching my front squat for regular add enough stress on my comp lifts to compensate?
    Peaking is different for every person, what works for one might not be ideal for another. A simple way to go about it would be to cut out most assistance work the last week and lower the fatigue % so you are still moving some heavy weights but not tiring yourself out with extra volume. You can't gain a whole lot of strength in one week, but you can definitely fatigue yourself. Also, you can lower the number of slots in the intensity block like in the GI program, or check out the thread titled "High-frequency intensity block". What I am planning to do is 10 slots a week spread over 5 days, one lower/one upper body movment each day. I like training often and with the 4-slot Wednesdays in the GI program I'm in rough shape at the end. Squatting for the 4th exercise of the day isn't fun, but it does teach you to push yourself and increase work capacity. Try different things and see what works for you. And by the way, i'm planning/considering (we will see what I end up doing) a test day after the last week of the intensity block. What I would do in that case is something like this:

Monday
    Squat, comp. bench

Tuesday
    Deadlift, T&G bench

Thursday
    Squat, comp. bench

Friday
    Deadlift, 3ct pause bench

with singles @8-9 on the comp. lifts, work sets x2-4 @9 with minimal or no drop sets.

And yes, squatting and benching on the same day is good. I was used to an upper/lower split so when I started doing full body workouts my bench suffered a bit, but after a couple weeks I was hitting PR's and my work capacity increased. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger - unless it kills you slowly.

Thank you so much, that makes a lot of sense, I like the idea of lowering the fatigue % the last week and possible dropping to 10 slots, and I will definitely try switching my main squat movement to my first day so I'm going into it fresh. Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it will help immensely