Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: % fatigue doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_ottawa View Post
    You guys who don't understand the RTS system need to read the RTS manual or at least some of Mike's articles. It is actually very simple and straightforward. Do you know of an easier way to regulate volume and determine working weights that isn't a one-size-fits-all percentage-based program?
    I purchased the RTS Manual, and then was told it is very outdated. This system seems like a highly subjective way to figure the correct volume.

Quote Originally Posted by GR61 View Post
    I purchased the RTS Manual, and then was told it is very outdated. This system seems like a highly subjective way to figure the correct volume.
    You're overthinking it. Obviously if you rest 10 seconds versus if you rest 5 minutes your RPE will be different. But who is ready to lift again after 10 seconds? Just putting on/taking off plates could take 30 seconds. Is resting 5 minutes versus resting 8 really going to affect your RPE that much? Probably not by more than 0.5. If you're inclined to limit your rest periods to 3-4 minutes and then do that consistently, all your RPE will be biased the same way. If you are comfortable with resting 3 minutes why would you out of the blue decide to rest 1 minute for some sets?
    Add me on instagram for (mostly) training videos: http://www.instagram.com/power_bert

I remember hearing that the manual was outdated in a powerlifting to win video. I have to disagree. The video stated it was because Mike now recommends full body workouts in most cases. That's kind of a silly reason considering full body versus an upper lower split doesn't even come close to defining RTS. I would say the manual is entirely up to date.

That being said, if writing an RTS manual 2 was justified, I would probably buy it. Hint, hint.

My favorite lifters are guys like Bill Kazmaier, John Kuc, Doug Furnas, Ed Coan, Kirk Karwoski, the Lilliebridge family, etc...
    I'll stick with these training methods instead of the latest gimmick.
    Last edited by GR61; 03-14-2015 at 12:23 AM.

My favorite lifters are guys like Bill Kazmaier, John Kuc, Doug Furnas, Ed Coan, Kirk Karwoski, the Lilliebridge family, etc...
    So why are you posting in this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    I remember hearing that the manual was outdated in a powerlifting to win video. I have to disagree. The video stated it was because Mike now recommends full body workouts in most cases. That's kind of a silly reason considering full body versus an upper lower split doesn't even come close to defining RTS. I would say the manual is entirely up to date.

That being said, if writing an RTS manual 2 was justified, I would probably buy it. Hint, hint.
    How dare Mike update his training and programming! I think Izzy is just trying to promote his own books.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_ottawa View Post
    So why are you posting in this forum?
    Cant RTS be used in any type of program?

Cant RTS be used in any type of program?
    Shug, is that you?

Yes, Mike T only offers general guidelines for rest periods, which will be a factor in the RPE of a set. Personally, I don't follow his suggestions because in my mind, I'm a powerlifter and I've got the time, so I take however much time I feel is good in between sets. This is usually 2-8 minutes, depending on the exercise.

However, RPE is still useful because it allows a larger variation in overall volume while still giving the psychological benefits of "sticking to the program". Whether I do 1 or 4 backoff sets, they are all "the program" so I don't have to worry about "wow I failed my 3rd set, is there something wrong, what do I do next time?".

Yes, it's not literally objective, since there are still some variables left undetermined. If he said "rest 3 minutes between sets" would it really be a whole new system? I have found(currently in my second cycle(12th week) of a RPE based program) that recording your sets and trying to nail down RPE by observing your bar speed is a very accurate way to manage fatigue. Do I know if I had done one less or one more set(by either upgrading or downgrading the RPE of my backoff sets by .5 RPE) I would have made a bigger/smaller PR at the end of a cycle? Absolutely not. No one can really tell you that.

However, for me it works psychologically in that if I feel worn out and estimate the same RPE on my first backoff set, or feel great, and don't get to the correct fatigue until 4 backoff sets, they all fit the program and I just move on to the next exercise. No burnout, no fudging numbers, just plain do the work and move on. As an early intermediate, adding 5-6% to my 1RM every 8 weeks is great progress, so I'll keep at it. Also, I like that I can do all the lifts I need with a barbell. Keeps it simple.

Shug? 5 to 6% aint too shabby.

The RTS system is a quantitative protocol used to regulate your training, and it's really good at that. The rational and analytical type thrive on this system. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it, it's nothing ground breaking. Everyone autoregulates their training somehow, most do it qualitatively but some like the quantitative method.