Thread: 3X Weekly Program for a Weak Intermediate

3X Weekly Program for a Weak Intermediate

Background:

I term myself a "Weak Intermediate" on the basis of my recovery ability and training age, though my numbers would suggest "Novice". I'm 31, and have been lifting properly for 2 years. I exhausted my linear, workout-to-workout progress after about 6 months. Apparently "strength doesn't care" that I have impaired recovery ability due to less than ideal sleep habits (2 young boys and a longish commute really cut in to the desired 8 hours/night). I can accept that my progress will be slower than if I recovered more/better, but I still want to optimize everything I can. As of May, my numbers (S/B/D, lbs) were 225/150/275 at 183 or so.

The Program:

Monday:
    High-bar Squat: Work up to 5@9, Load Drop 6-9%
    Bench/Press (alt weekly): Work up to 8@9, Load Drop 6-9%
    GPP

Wednesday:
    2-count Low-bar Squat: 3@7, Repeat 4-6%
    Press/Bench (alt weekly): 8@9, Myo-reps/Rest-pause until 3@9
    Chin-ups: AMRAP in 5 minutes

Friday:
    Low-bar Squat: 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%
    Bench/Press (alt weekly): 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%
    Deadlift: 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%

Notes:

I have observed that my upper-body responds better to a higher rep range (a la 531 BBB), hence the sets of 8.
    I expect that I'll eventually have to add another Deadlift session on Monday, but I'm still progressing it at 1x/week, so I don't want to add volume until it's needed.
    I'm trying to give my Press equal priority for the time being, so that's why I'm alternating Bench/Press weekly.
    I like to squat a lot, and mix in some High-bar or Front Squats when appropriate.
    I realize it's a very TM-ish set-up. My Squat/Deadlift respond well to a TM template, but the mid-week recovery day bores me, so I'm turning it into a Technique/Hypertrophy day.

The Point
    I plan to run this for 8 weeks, starting Monday. I enjoy (probably too much) tinkering with programs, so feel free to offer thoughts, point out glaring flaws, etc. Also, if you think it's too much complexity for a lifter of my level, point that out as well. For example, I'm not sure that Paused Squats and Myo-reps are warranted for a 200 Wilks lifter, but I wanted to do something for myself to keep Wednesday light, but still feel like it was important.

Blog Entries
    Wednesday might be light... but those myo-reps on the bench might eat into your ability to get in quality volume on Friday. Your template looks suspicously Texas Methody (probably on purpose) and there's nothing wrong with that, but the point of your "light" workout is to be recovered for Friday (dissipate fatigue). To make it a little more productive you might consider doing paused bench with the same parameters as your squat. You could stick your myo reps in the alternate lift on Monday if you wanted to still do those. I.e.:

Monday:
    High-bar Squat: Work up to 5@9, Load Drop 6-9%
    Bench/Press (alt weekly): Work up to 8@9, Load Drop 6-9%
    Bench/Press (alt weekly, opposite of second exercise): 8@9, Myo-reps/Rest-pause until 3@9

Wednesday:
    2-count Low-bar Squat: 3@7, Repeat 4-6%
    2-count paused Bench (alt weekly): 3@7, Repeat 4-6%
    Chin-ups: AMRAP in 5 minutes

Friday:
    Low-bar Squat: 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%
    Bench/Press (alt weekly): 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%
    Deadlift: 3@9, Load Drop (Or Rep Drop) 4-6%

Also, you might consider dropping your OHP frequency and benching more. I would personally try benching twice a week and only OHP once a week. But that all depends on your goals... If having a big OHP is important to you at the cost of having a lower bench, than that's fine (as long as you're not a powerlifter). If your goal is a big bench over a big OHP, then treat the OHP more like an assistance lift. Maybe JUST do OHP in your myorep slot on Monday and don't alternate the bench in the other slots.

Hmm, yeah, that's a fair point about my Wednesday workout. I was hoping that the short rests on the myo-reps would "artificially" tire me out me without generating any lasting fatigue, but maybe fatigue is fatigue, no matter how it's generated. I think I'll incorporate the paused bench suggestion, so now I'll need to come up with a lighter OHP option... DB press? Arnold press? As for OHP frequency, you're right, I am trying to push it as much as my bench for the time being. I'm closing in on a 1-plate press, at which point I'll be ready to relegate it to assistance status and concentrate on bench. Thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries
    You could try a paused OHP... pausing at nose or forehead, or wherever you have a sticking point. Or one arm dumbbell press (you'll realize how important it is to stay tight). Either way, keep the RPE and fatigue stop lower.

You know, it hadn't occurred to me to pause anywhere but right on the clavicles, but I really like the idea of pausing at the sticking point. I'd have to keep the RPE low and hold down the fatigue for something like that, but doing weak point work will keep me mentally engaged on Wednesday, like the paused squats and bench. Good call...