Thread: Deadlift shake

Deadlift shake

I am a raw powerlifter and I really enjoy using the rpe system!!

My squat and bench have been soaring and I am very satisfied, but I cannot seem to get my conventional deadlift to improve.

I am strong of the floor, and then when i get to below my knees, my legs start shaking uncontrolably, and I miss the lifts. This only happens with 90%+ of my max.

What is the limiting factor here and could it just be a technique issue?

Quote Originally Posted by EJS00102 View Post
    I am a raw powerlifter and I really enjoy using the rpe system!!

My squat and bench have been soaring and I am very satisfied, but I cannot seem to get my conventional deadlift to improve.

I am strong of the floor, and then when i get to below my knees, my legs start shaking uncontrolably, and I miss the lifts. This only happens with 90%+ of my max.

What is the limiting factor here and could it just be a technique issue?
    Strong of the floor and week and eventually shaky at lockout are pretty good indicators, that you pull with a rounded back. This position gives you the best leverage to break the weight off the floor, but leave you in a disadvantageous position at lockout, because the lower back is not constructed to lockout such heavy weights.

What you could do:

If you want to keep your pulling technique (but consider, the risks, which come with a rounded back), you could do pause squats just a but under/at/over knee level or rack pulls just under knee level to work your lockout strength.

Drop the weights down, to allow you getting used to pull with a flat(ter) back. It makes you weakest off the floor, but the lockout is a breeze.