Thread: Is there an RTS recommended program for offseason hypertrophy/bodybuilding?

Is there an RTS recommended program for offseason hypertrophy/bodybuilding?

I'm a fairly novice lifter (Wilk's ~300) who's been training regularly for a little more than a year.
    My normal (hydrated) bodyweight is about 155lb.
    1RM's w/ belt are 295 squat, 255 touch-and-go bench, and 375 sumo deadlift.

Because I'm a number geek (I'm a scientist by training), I incorporated the RTS' RPE and fatigue systems early on (despite being a newb), after I quickly grew bored of the linear periodization.
    I first began with stronglifts (5x5), stalled and toyed around w/ Mad cow, before running Greg Nuckol's program, and finally settling with RTS Generalized intermediate program that is freely available.
    I was thoroughly impressed with both the progress I've made on the RTS program and how fun it is, with the numbers and not having to do RPE10 sets so often (as is the case with some other programs which say "work up to 5RM" every week).

I would really like to sign up for RTS coaching but because I'm still a newb and I don't think I could afford it, I am asking for some quick advice on the forums instead.

Are there any offseason hypertrophy/bodybuilding programs form RTS?
    I am really enjoying the generalized intermediate program and would like to run a hypertrophy routine since I'm on caloric surplus diet right now.
    Last edited by phdnewb; 01-10-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phdnewb View Post
    Are there any offseason hypertrophy/bodybuilding programs form RTS?
    I am really enjoying the generalized intermediate program and would like to run a hypertrophy routine since I'm on caloric surplus diet right now.
    No, unless you pay for coaching. More volume = more hypertrophy.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_ottawa View Post
    No, unless you pay for coaching. More volume = more hypertrophy.
    If I pay the $99 per month, will I get access to an RTS hypertrophy program?

From what I understand, they use hypertrophy blocks so you would have a "hypertrophy program" at some point. With Mike T's style of programming, hypertrophy work is done throughout the training cycle anyway. You could just put together your own hypertrophy phase (it's not very difficult, upper/lower split with high reps) and then move back to something based on the GI program. In my opinion, using RPE to determine working weights for hypertrophy is a waste of time. Depending on the movement, anywhere between 6-15 reps will give you similar results as long as the effort per set is about the same (you wouldn't want to do side raises for heavy sets of 6 and sets of 15 for deadlifts). It's no big deal of the first set is 8 reps and the next one is 7.

Just add some high rep stuff onto what your already doing
    Table-3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by phdnewb View Post
    If I pay the $99 per month, will I get access to an RTS hypertrophy program?
    If you're interested in this, I recommend that you email RTS and ask if they can start you in a hypertrophy/restoration block.

If you want to do it yourself, the Juggernaut Powerlifting Club Coaching actually starts with a hypertrophy block and uses RPE, so you could get some ideas from them. Here is an example week:

Day 1
    1-Olympic Squat-Work Up to 10rm at 8 RPE
    2-Olympic Squat-Drop 8-12% from 10rm for 2x10
    3-Front Squat-3x10 at 7 RPE
    4-GHR or Hamstring Curls-4x10

Day 2
    1-Widegrip Bench-Work Up to 10rm at 8 RPE.
    2-Widegrip Bench-Drop 8-12% from 10rm for 3x10
    3-Palms In DB Incline Bench-3xAMRAP, use a weight that allows you to perform 10-12 reps/set.
    4-DB Rows-4x10-12, 1xAMRAP.
    5a-DB Front Raises-2x15-20
    5b-DB Skullcrushers-2x15-20
    5c-DB Shrugs-2x15-20, Perform 5a, 5b, 5c as a circuit

Day 3
    1-Deadlift-Work Up To 8rm at 8RPE.
    2-Deadlift-Drop 8-12% from 8rm for 2x8.
    3-RDL or Box Deadlift-3x12 at 7 RPE.
    4-DB Split Squats-3x12 each leg
    5-Back Raises-4x10, holding a weight on your chest or behind your head.

Day 4
    Off

Day 5
    1-Olympic Squat-3x10 at 8-12% Under Monday's 10rm
    2-Leg Press or Belt Squat-3x12 at 7RPE. If you don't have access to either of these, Front Squat is a good option.
    3-Box Deadlift-2x12 at 7 RPE
    4-GHR or Hamstring Curls-4x10

Day 6
    1-Incline Bench-3x10 at 7 RPE
    2-Closegrip Bench-3x10 at 7 RPE
    3-Pendlay Rows-4x10-12
    4a-DB Flies-2x15-20
    4b-Tricep Pushdowns-2x15-20
    4c-DB Lateral Raises-2x15-20
    4d-DB Curls-2x15-20, Perform 4abcd as a circuit

Day 7
    Off