Thread: Coming from Starting Strength -- Looking for advice

Coming from Starting Strength -- Looking for advice

Hello all,

I ran Starting Strength for 9 months and was badly overtrained at the end of it because I went to failure several times those last few weeks because a SS coach encouraged me to "milk LP a little bit longer".

After that I have been doing a 4 day split routine but the problem is it's based off percentages, then adding 5 pounds to each lift every week, and I overtrained again after months of doing this.

I have taken the last two weeks off of training because I had bad symptoms: restlessness, trouble sleeping/eating, feeling incredibly stressed out, etc. I know 100% it's due from training I'm otherwise very healthy (21 years old, 220 pounds, 6'0).

At the recommendation of Dr. Austin Baraki I read about RPE and Auto regulation on your site - and I'm convinced this is the best thing for me.

Does anyone on this forum have advice for me so I can come back safely, make my progress back again, and continue to write my own programs? I see books and DVD's but Im not quite sure where to go from here. I'm in this for the long haul so any advice would be incredibly helpful - I just want to train again without running myself into the ground.

I also want to make sure that I'm 100% healthy and not overtrained anymore.

Thank you,

Matt

You should start keeping detailed logs of your workouts, if you haven't already. Pay attention to volume and the intensity range.

You might be better off capping your volume and intensity if you have a tendency to run yourself into the ground.

Put more emphasis on recovery - sleep, mobility, nutrition - rather than training - sets, reps, volume, RPEs, etc..

Cut down the days of week you train until you're feeling better for a mesocycle. If you're training 5 days per week, cut down to 3. If you're training 3-4 days per week, cut down to 2...and build back up slowly.

There are many ways to train successfully - Linear Progression, Linear Periodization, Block Periodization, Eastern Block Periodization, Daily Max, Conjugate, DUP, Concurrent etc. All of these styles of programming have produced tremendous results and will continue to do so. But there is only one way to reduce recovery - train less, prioritize sleep, clean up your nutrition, mobility.

You say pay attention to volume and intensity -- but what exactly does that entail? That's kind of where I'm stuck at, I want to learn how to make my own programs. The reason I'm interested in RPE is because I don't want to overtrain and run myself into the ground (and it makes the most logical sense of anything I've seen so far).

How would I make a new program for myself based on the Russian identification chart of what level I'm at (I'm still technically novice).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_P View Post
    You say pay attention to volume and intensity -- but what exactly does that entail? That's kind of where I'm stuck at, I want to learn how to make my own programs. The reason I'm interested in RPE is because I don't want to overtrain and run myself into the ground (and it makes the most logical sense of anything I've seen so far).

How would I make a new program for myself based on the Russian identification chart of what level I'm at (I'm still technically novice).
    You can still overtrain with RPEs. I've done it. Others have done it too.

That's why you should pay attention to volume and intensity. Here's what I mean:

Find out your tonnage. Find out how many working sets you did in whatever intensity you're working in.

To find your tonnage, simply multiply SETS x REPS x WEIGHT USED. To find out your intensity range, you will need to have a ball park guess of your 1RM. Divide the weight you used by that ball park 1RM and you'll get your intensity range.

So if you can bench 245 for 1...and you did 215x5x5...your tonnage for the working sets is 5,375 lbs and your intensity range is 88%. 25 total reps in the 80-90% range is a lot to handle. It will leave most people fried. It's unsustainable. You may be different though. That's why you gotta track...assess....change.

Good luck.

Thank you, that's helpful.