Hello all,
I listened to the Podcast "Emerging Strategies with Mike T." on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdGP120e4B0

In this podcast he recalls a Client he had, that performed quite well during training, but as soon as the weights got heavier, his performance dropped.
Mike T. only talks a few seconds, how he deals with this problem. He lets his client perform 4 reps to 6 reps until the meet and mixes in some heavy work.

I have a similiar problem. E.g. I squatted 320 lbs x4 @8. If my calculations are correct I would asume that my e1RM would be around 380. My trainingsplan told me to do single @8. So i worked my way up until I hit 330 lbs. This weight already felt like I couldnt squat it more that 2 or maybe 3 times. On my competion I only managed to squat 350 lbs, so 30 lbs less than expected.

How would you handle this problem of performance drop? I thought, maybe it is just me, being very uncomfortable with heavier weights. I might do more heavy work? This would go exactly the other way round, as Mike T. sugested.
If you do as Mike said and would work more in that 4 to 6 reprange, how would your first attempt be? Would you pick a lower attempt and accept that you never gonna squat your e1RM?

I would be thankful for every helping answer. I'm sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

Good evening, cheers!